Power Control System Technician III (Current AE ESD Employees Only)
Job Requisition Number
Electric System - Field Ops
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses or Certifications:
- Associate Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Engineering, Electronics, or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years experience related to installation and maintenance of electronic communications, computer and peripheral equipment or control and instrumentation equipment.
- Experience may substitute for education up to two (2) years.
- If position resides in Electric Substation Maintenance, it may require a CDL.
- Valid driver's license.
Notes to Applicants
This position is responsible for the construction, maintenance, testing, and restoration of the protective relaying systems for Austin Energy. The person in this position will install, enhance, troubleshoot, calibrate, repair, and maintain protective relay schemes and systems. Responsibilities also include: install and maintain substation electrical equipment such as circuit breakers, transformers, motors, meters, relays, remote terminal units, telemetry, relay communication systems, etc.; install relay and communication panels, terminate cables, perform DC checks, power up various devices, load relay settings, perform various trip-checks, confirm communication paths, perform end to end testing, and perform in-service checks; read schematics, blueprints, cable schedules, wiring diagrams, and one-lines; operate electronic test equipment such as relay test sets, volt meters, and phase analyzers; maintain documentation for all systems and be proficient with computer software; maintain compliance with ISO, ERCOT, and NERC standards. The person in this position must also have the ability to guide and train less experienced personnel.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Gaps in employment must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as “see résumé” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position requires pre-employment screening under NERC CIP.
- This position requires a Valid Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old, hold a current applicable driver license, and pass a Driver Record Evaluation (DRE). Please review the City of Austin Driving Standards. DRE will be verified through the Department of Public Safety. Job offer is contingent upon having a driving record that meets the City’s Driver Record Evaluation Standards.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations in order to maintain the safe delivery of electric service for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
- Monday through Thursday, 6:00am to 4:30pm
- This position is considered “essential” which may require you to work outside of normal business hours.
Job Close Date