Requisition ID: 3798
Power Plant Operator, Senior - Heat & Power
Advantages of a Purdue Career
The perks of a Purdue career are numerous, offering everything from the satisfaction of working for a nationally renowned university, to the arts and intellectual stimulation, to just living in a great community. What appeals most to you?
Below are just a few of the reasons our employees have chosen a Purdue career.
- Benefits and Retirement - Purdue offers your choice of medical plan options. And, to help you with the important responsibility of planning and saving for your retirement, Purdue provides a variety of retirement plans, some of which are linked to the type of position you hold.
- Tuition Reduction - Purdue offers a generous tuition fee remission for the employees and their spouses and children.
- Free Tuition – offered to benefit-eligible employee through Purdue Global University
- Paid Time Off - Purdue University offers its employees a valuable and varied package of leaves, including vacation, sick leave, paid parental leave, and military leave.
- Center for Healthy Living - The Center for Healthy Living provides the preventive care services that are vital to protecting your health, and treats your illnesses and your ongoing conditions. The center offers support for nutrition, stress management, physical activity and more.
- Fitness and Entertainment Perks - Purdue faculty and staff are eligible for employee rates at Purdue’s Recreational Sports Center and enjoy discounts and priority ticket-buying days for athletic and entertainment events.
- Discount Programs at Select Retailers and Free CityBus Access
- The Clerical and Service Staff Advisory Committee (CSSAC) works to provide discounts to all faculty, staff and retirees. View the list of employee discounts.
- The Greater Lafayette CityBus is free to employees who show their Purdue Staff ID. Visit the CityBus website to see campus maps and other routes.
Who We Are
The Purdue University West Lafayette campus benefits from a combined heat and power system that utilizes steam not only to provide heat to facilities but also to generate electricity and the chilled water that is used to cool facilities.
Steam and chilled water are generated and distributed by our staff. In addition to the electricity that is co-generated (in the combined heat and power system noted above), electricity is also purchased from an external provider. All utility operations are focused on providing safe, reliable, cost-effective services to the campus community.
Perform duties operating boilers, chillers, generators and other equipment to supply power steam and chilled water services for campus. Perform preventative maintenance and minor repair of equipment. Operate large commercial/industrial type boilers. Monitor and maintain water level, and assist in maintaining steam pressure in boilers. Monitor, start, stop and isolate proper auxiliary equipment for efficient operation of the units, including F.D., I.D., over-fire air fans, pumps and turbines. Check temperatures of bearings and pumps. Complete the training program and become proficient in the identification and operation of equipment. Various shifts; 24 hour/day, 7 days/week operation.
- High school diploma/GED
- Four years perform duties operating boilers, chillers and other equipment to supply steam and chilled water services
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of either steam, electric, hydraulic of air powered equipment
- Ability to take advanced departmental training to learn other positions in the power plant
- Proven basic math skills, verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to perform basic computer operations
- Must be able to work from heights up to 100 feet and lift and carry 25 lbs. to 50 lbs. frequently and up to 60 lbs. occasionally
- A valid US or Canadian drivers’ license
- Knowledge and experience entering or retrieving word and or excel documents
- Knowledge of steam or electric driven equipment
- Knowledge of water treatment systems, including chemical measuring/handling
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment authorization for this position
- Wade Utility Plant is a 24 hour/day, 7 days a week operation
- Must be willing to work any shift, weekends and holidays
- This position requires available for 24-hour callback
- Occasional overtime may be required
- A Background Check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Non-exempt Defined Contribution Plan
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
Click the Apply button or visit: