DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Performs a variety of work associated with all aspects of design, construction, operation and maintenance of utility installations for
the electric power plants, various buildings and structures. Works closely with HU Engineering Director, staff and represents WEC
at engineering meetings. Supervises Maintenance and Electric Instrument &Controls departments; supervises projects and
department personnel in the performance of their duties.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering from an accredited university or college;
- A minimum of five years of engineering experience;
- A valid driver’s license; and
- Must be able to respond within 30 minutes.
- Utility company environment and supervisory experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- The following tasks are typical for positions in this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here. Provides engineering assistance to power plant departments in analyzing operational problems and providing recommendations for improved reliability, performance, fuel efficiency, improved plant load range, reduced emissions, load reductions and forced outages.
- Assists engineering department in evaluating power plant online performance monitor, turbine - generator, boiler, auxiliaries etc.
- Provides interface with equipment OEMs. Provides engineering support for plant modifications.
- Prepares detailed outage schedules for equipment maintenance.
- Prepares one and six year capital improvement plans and capital budgets for Hastings Utilities and Public Power Generation Agency.
- Project manager as needed for major capital construction projects including but not limited to power plant construction. Reviews and approves design construction drawings and project work orders
- Prepares specifications and bidding documents. Evaluate bids, review and negotiate technical and commercial exceptions, determine lowest evaluated cost, and prepare recommendations to management and engineering department.
- Supervises other personnel as designated by the Director of Electric Production. The following tasks are related to supervising others: scheduling, task assignments, coaching and training, assists with hiring, sets performance standards, discipline, team building, investigates misconduct, evaluate personnel, conflict resolution, review and approve reports, and ensures accuracy of department information
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- May serve as member of various employee committees.
- May serve on various utility related committees.
- Prepares preliminary and final design of various projects.
- Prepares specifications and bid documents.
- Performs inspections at various facilities to analyze proper operation.
- Does estimating of project costs, reviews and prepares work orders.
- Supervises the maintenance and updating of maps, drawings, diagrams and site P&ID’s.
- Writes and provides technical reports.
- Coordinates construction activities.
- Coordinates inspection of work by outside contractors.
- Performs related work and all other duties as assigned.
- Helps to evaluate project bids.
- Stays abreast of applicable codes, regulations and standards related to electric power production.
- Participates in on-the-job training and trains other department personnel.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
This position requires knowledge, skill or the ability to obtain skill in the following areas:
- Extensive knowledge of design principles, and cost estimating of power production departments and systems.
- Extensive knowledge of utility policies, practices and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of utility budgeting procedures.
- Ability to think independently and use logic along with all of the known facts to render appropriate decisions.
- Ability to analyze situations and make recommendations.
- Ability to supervise others and attain needed results.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with fellow employees and the public.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations.
- Ability to prepare and deliver detailed reports.
- Ability to review building architectural plans for utility related issues.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and knowledge of drafting and design techniques.
- Ability to operate department vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to communicate with fellow employees and public.
- Oral and written communication skills.
Proficiency in the use and operation of equipment including but not limited to the following:
Office Equipment including computer, Multi-line Telephone, Cell phone, Mobile radio, Two-way radio, Fax Machine, and PrintScan-Copier Machines Department vehicles, Standard drafting & design tools, engineering calculator, transit or level, hand and power tools
Computer-Aided Design Software, Auto CAD Programs, Word Processing Software, Database Software, Spreadsheet Software, and Email and Internet
The noise level in the workplace is usually moderate but may be elevated at construction work sites, etc. Work is performed primarily in a coal power plant setting; however, some duties require outdoor activities in a variety of conditions and temperatures. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate tools, equipment and vehicles.
In compliance with the Americans with Disability Act, Hastings Utilities provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The above description is intended to describe the duties of an employee in general terms and does not necessarily describe all duties. The job description is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.