Productivity Analyst - Journey
To perform analytical studies, develop performance improvement strategies and manage administrative projects in order to improve department operational performance and ensure cost savings for SMUD.
This posting is for Journey level Productivity Analyst. If you would like to be considered for Entry level Productivity Analyst (2781BR), you must apply to both job postings separately.
*COVER LETTER REQUIREMENT: To further assess your qualifications for this position, please respond to the questions listed in Additional Posting Info for Candidates section below. Failure to respond to the cover letter requirement will result in a "Not Qualified" status.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
1. Performs consulting services by conducting studies of manual and automated information systems and related programs; coordinating and negotiating input and involvement of several departments when project scope involves multiple departments; documenting work flow, paperwork channels, work methods, procedures and other aspects of systems; analyzing systems to identify inefficiencies; and designing productivity systems and/or preparing recommendations for performance and/or system improvements.
2. Manages multiple highly-complex projects concurrently including planning, analyzing, directing, monitoring and evaluation of each project and associated milestones.
3. Prepares project implementation plans and schedules, including detailed task development, scheduling and monitoring of performance.
4. Assists in planning, reviewing and conducting work activities and researching required project information associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plan/contract required.
To support the overall achievement and completion of department projects.
5. Provides expertise in support of systems benchmarking for anticipated major system implementations, enhancements or modifications by providing documented system specifications; evaluating vendor proposals; recommending appropriate courses of action; and implementing accepted vendor proposals with affected SMUD departments and units.
6. Prepares and presents written and/or oral communication materials which promote concepts and ideas for proposed system and operational changes, report findings of studies and project teams and summarize recommendations which address system solutions for SMUD system users and managers.
7. Identifies system operational performance data by researching documented studies and/or benchmark descriptions of systems; developing performance indicators; deriving monitoring schemes or methods for system operation and performance; providing management with documentation of performance indicators and monitoring schemes; and performing audits or reviews of new system/program installations to verify their effectiveness, measure achievement of objectives and validates projected savings.
8. Audits or reviews newly installed systems and/or programs for effectiveness, performance, and cost savings by observing system operations; collecting and analyzing statistical and financial data; and measuring system performance using established system monitoring methods and performance indicators.
9. Participates in design, development and presentation of training and related materials, which support implementation of system installations and enhancements and improve department information resources and utilization of automated information systems.
10. Develops and interprets SMUD and departmental policies and procedures, maintains the department's policies, practices and procedures manuals and filing systems for controlled documents and coordinates management review, concurrence and approval of new and revised SMUD policies and procedures.
11. Participates in departmental annual budget preparation and ongoing administration by developing and presenting guidance and training to department staff; determining and ensuring classification of expenditures in accordance with federal guidelines; developing management reports containing comparison of analysis of budget content; assisting in development of unit budget and annual and revised program budget presentations for management review; supporting development and utilization of automated systems for budget preparation and analysis; evaluating, comparing and preparing managements reports of actual expenditures to projected budget; and reviewing annual budget reports for adherence to SMUD policies and procedures.
12. Performs related duties as required.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
3+ years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in analysis of business and automated information systems, development of productivity improvement and performance monitoring systems, development and application of performance improvement strategies in work environments, with 3+ years of experience with SMUD's or other electric utility's budgeting, accounting and automated systems.
High school diploma or equivalency.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Basic math, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; principles and practices of systems analysis; procedures and practices for cost control and project scheduling; procedures and practices for monitoring and managing projects; methods and techniques for report preparation and writing; techniques and strategies for public speaking; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and other special agreements; concepts related to evaluating and recording performance results; methods and techniques for training staff; principles and practices of business systems; principles of statistical and financial accounting policies and systems; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and other special agreements; complex computer systems and resources, electronic records, database administration and development of automated reports; interrelationships between SMUD's operations and relevant external entities; methods and techniques for record keeping; modern office practices and procedures; principles, practices and techniques of productivity improvement and related programs; principles of management theory; techniques for data gathering; safety policies, practices and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
Interpret SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and/or other special agreements; design productivity systems; develop performance improvement strategies; develop new and revised policies and procedures to provide for the effective operation of the unit; identify and assess training needs for staff; interact with others to influence and motivate; compile and prepare technical, statistical and/or analytical reports and presentations; develop and conduct oral presentations to internal/external audiences; reconcile significant and/or controversial differences to bring interested parties to consensus; evaluate and resolve complex technical or management issues; plan, organize, prioritize and schedule projects; monitor and manage projects; analyze procedures/systems and develop/implement operational improvements; analyze situations, documents and data for conformance to established policy and procedures; develop approaches for implementing an idea; develop an estimation of how a system should work under ideal conditions; identify significant organizational issues, concerns and needs and develop strategies for rectifying them; interpret, clarify, understand and analyze verbal/written information and ideas; prepare a business case to weigh the relative costs and benefits of a potential action; utilize logic and analysis to identify the advantages and disadvantages of different approaches; assist in budget preparation and administration; serve as reference person for other employees; interact with others to influence, motivate and challenge; use mathematics to solve problems;
BS/BA degree or some college level coursework in business management, information systems, public administration, organizational development, system theory, or related field or equivalent experience.