Do you want to grow your career and be part of a team solving critical challenges that affect the world?
Leidos Civil is leading the way in solving internationally pressing issues, including:
Energy engineering - Restoring power during hurricane efforts; helping communities achieve significant energy savings
Environmental management - Delivering innovative environmental solutions and wildlife conservation plans
IT infrastructure modernization - Helping 2+ million citizens recover from identity theft; maintaining global biometrics systems
Transportation security solutions - Securing U.S. borders with 1200+ radiation and explosive monitors; designing vehicle solutions that save lives, reduce congestion, and boost fuel efficiency
If you desire to be an integral part of a dynamic team of science and technology leaders, then Leidos Civil is the place for you!
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer.
When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute's "World's Most Ethical Companies"
Leidos...Practical Answers for a Complicated World
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
We are seeking a Protection & Control Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team in a fast paced environment, solving challenging substation engineering problems. In the project engineering role the qualified individual will require a combination of strong engineering and interpersonal skills and high attention to detail with a passion for quality. The position will include coordinating with project managers, directing design engineers and CADD/designer staff, and performing design quality reviews. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for interfacing directly with clients and other staff in remote office locations. Assignments cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support. Design work may range from substation expansions, modifications and new builds for projects at 12.5 kV through 500 kV.
• Apply a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to substation engineering, design, and operation in the electric utility industry.
• Prepares equipment specifications, analyzes bids, makes recommendations for purchase
• Applies standards including the NESC, IEEE, IEC, and is familiar with design guides such as the RUS Bulletin 1742E-200
• Familiar with state and federal safety, regulatory compliance requirements, and construction codes
• Prepares project analysis, budgets, schedules, and plans
• Prepares construction and procurement documents
• Prepares engineering calculations and reports
• Supports construction and substation and equipment commissioning
• Acts as a resource and mentor to other engineering staff
• The successful candidate will demonstrate their capability to perform the job functions with a combination of education, experience, knowledge, and skills.
• Typically requires B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
• 2 - 4 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
• 1 - 2 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
• Electrical and civil engineering principles and practices as applied in the electric utility environment
• Experience with
Equipment selection and specification
One and three-line diagrams
Control and protection schemes including the preparation of schematics and wiring diagrams
• Proficient in the use of typical office computer software such as WORD, EXCEL, PROJECT, and ACROBAT
• Demonstrated ability to perform effectively within a driven work environment
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and creatively problem solve
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
• Demonstrated technical writing skills
• Self-starter who can work independently with minimal direction
This job will at times require periodic travel and potentially short time assignment at client sites.