Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL - Energy is seeking a Quantitative Research Analyst to perform data organization, analysis, and reporting for project work in the energy utility industry. This candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven experience engaging with technical and non-technical clients, colleagues and other stakeholders to understand data challenges and propose solutions. Experience with energy efficiency, demand-side management (DSM) and renewable energy programs are desirable. This position is based out of our Madison, WI office. Tasks May Include
- Support colleagues in the design, implementation and delivery of research and analytical projects
- Review for quality, analyze and document the content, structure and gaps for data from a variety sources, including but not limited to energy efficiency program data, billing data, survey data, energy usage data, interval load data, demographic data and weather data.
- Maintain existing programmed analyses; identify enhancements; track and promote usage across company
- Troubleshoot issues with data import, export, merge and analysis
- Design and develop processes to implement automated approaches for data handling and quality review tasks.
- Revise data inputs used in energy derived from disparate data sources to use in analytical tools for program evaluation and market characterization studies, and preparing models for analysis
- Develop expertise in energy efficiency data for specific programs and respond to data and research requests.
- Work on project-based teams in the delivery of program evaluations, research studies, and other project work related to energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainability
- Conduct surveys, in-depth interviews, and field visits as directed by project managers to collect primary data used for process evaluations, market characterizations or evaluations of the impacts achieved by energy efficiency and DSM programs
- Perform secondary research, including literature reviews, internet research, document review and database review
- Assist in designing survey questionnaires, performing qualitative and quantitative data analysis in Microsoft Excel, R, or SAS, and summarizing results
- Prepare client deliverables including memos, reports, and presentations
- Forecast site-level consumption using a variety of modeling techniques such as linear regressions, random forest algorithms, artificial neural networks, etc.
- Utilize parallelized programming (Apache Spark, Hadoop, etc) for batch processing across large datasets
- Interpret the results of data analyses to produce concise, meaningful conclusions and recommendations for client-facing reports and professional papers
- Develop and maintain products that deliver data visualizations/reports to enable users to grasp concepts, identify patterns, and make better business decisions
**Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are not available for this position** Opportunities Beyond Business Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package. DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf Local employment conditions apply. Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com #CB#
Company & Business Area Description
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, econometrics, sociology or a related field plus one year of applied professional experience; or a Master's degree in economics, statistics, engineering, computer science, psychology, sociology, public policy or related research discipline
- Experience with one or more statistical programming languages
- At least 1 year of demonstrated quantitative experience performing research, analysis, and reporting (coursework, internships are valid)
- Knowledge and experience in the energy utility industry is highlt preferred
- Experience with energy efficiency, DSM, or demand response programs is a p lus
- Experience in a consulting environment is preferred
- Expertise in SAS, R, and/or Python preferred; also interested in candidates with expertise working with STATA, SQL or other command-line driven software package for organizing and analyzing large datasets is desired
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau) is a plus
- Attention to detail
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and professional demeanor
- Proven ability to
- Manage own time and workload effectively with colleagues and meet deadlines
- Contribute meaningfully to team efforts to achieve group and company goals while providing insight, enthusiasm, and support
- Act as a role model for otherS through your leadership, mentorship, and sharing of knowledge and skills
- Conduct self in a professional manner, including in written and verbal communications
- Communicate proactively and effectively with staff all levels to find information, learn new skills, troubleshoot problems, and address complex issues
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office 2007, including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Willingness to travel, within the United States, up to 10%
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.