EKPC Company Information
East Kentucky Power Cooperative is an electric generation and transmission company headquartered in Winchester, KY, just 15 minutes east of Lexington. We also have facilities across the state of Kentucky that generate electric power and service centers for local power lines and substations support.
EKPC offers a wage and benefits package that ranks among the best in the state. EKPC provides a 401(k) retirement plan; a medical and dental plan; competitive vacation package; and a professional work environment.
EKPC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veteran
This position is responsible for performing supervision and leadership of field technicians in the operation, construction, and maintenance of relay and control protection systems in transmission facilities, distribution substations, generating plants, and other facilities associated with protection and control of equipment. This position is responsible for scheduling, coordinating, and providing support for relay testing, protection system maintenance management database, and control wiring. In addition, this position provides oversight and monitors contractor activities to help ensure compliance to all safety regulations and practices.
- Demonstrates expertise in protection and control commissioning, relay testing, relay programming, and protection system applications on transmission facilities, distribution substations, and generating facilities.
- Investigates root cause analysis with relay or control problems.
- Directs and coordinates activities to adhere to EKPC’s NERC PRC-005 Compliance plan as it relates to Protective Relay Testing and Calibration, DC Control Circuitry Testing, and Associated Communication Scheme Testing.
- Develops and maintains a system protection maintenance program and ensures adherence to the program to meet EKPC and NERC Reliability Standard requirements.
- Manages and coordinates Enoserv PowerBase relay database with Enoserv RTS software.
- Operates, develops test plans, and programs Enoserv RTS relay testing software.
- Provides assistance in relay testing, developing test plans for newer relays, and managing database for storing test results.
- Possesses knowledge of the relationship between SCADA systems and relaying with the ability to diagnose and repair problems.
- Understands relay protection schemes using differential, directional, distance, or communication assisted relaying to provide troubleshooting and technical support, interpret alarms and annunciator schemes, install or replace wiring in schemes, and safely work on live CT and PT circuits.
- Possesses advanced knowledge of protection system testing requirements and methods to ensure correct functionality.
- Develops or modifies protection and control schematics for installation or removal of relays in substation.
- Provides field inspection of all assigned work; directs necessary corrections and oversees the proper completion of work.
- Provides expertise to train other technicians on troubleshooting protective relay problems, interpreting all types of AC and DC control schematics to implement proper operation of scheme, proper use of current, voltage, and phase angle meter equipment, and communication processors and relay network.
- Ensures all assigned work is performed in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Coordinates activities during emergency outages and determines when conditions exist to notify Dispatcher due to failed or questionable protection equipment.
- Provides supervision/leadership of the System Protection Field Technicians Group, including developing goals and completing performance appraisals for individuals within the group.
- Participates in the interviewing and selection process of field team members.
- Conducts policy administration, planning, and staffing functions as assigned.
- Approves all monthly VISA purchases for responsibility area.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Key Requirements Education:
- Associate’s degree in related area. An equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Seven (7) years of related experience. Experience working in a leadership capacity is preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Complete Supervisory Training Program within two (2) years and attend on-going Learning for Leaders training.
- Knowledge of system expansion process.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Familiarity with EKPC’s transmission system and work practices.
- Negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated skills or aptitude for computer use.
- Team skills and an understanding of the team concept.
- Knowledge of KY OSHA regulations and the ability to learn EKPC safety regulations. Competencies Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Planning and Organizing
- Decision Making
- Initiating Action
- Building a Successful Team
- Safety Awareness
- Information Monitoring
- Follow-up Conditions of Employment
- Must live within thirty (30) minutes of assigned work location
- Usual office conditions; regularly works outside with conditions including dust, fumes, noise, extreme heat and cold, slippery or unstable surfaces, uneven terrain, glare, and occasional heights.
- Regular lifting up to twenty (20) pounds and occasional lifting up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Regular travel within the system and occasional out-of-state, which may be overnight