Risk Control Analyst
Job Requisition Number
Licenses or Certifications:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, or in a field related to the job, plus three (3) years related experience
- Masters degree in related fields or CPA may be substituted for one (1) year experience up to a maximum of two (2) years.
Notes to Applicants
This position is in the Risk Control aka Middle Office section of AE Finance Department. This section monitors and reports on AE’s energy transactions in ERCOT wholesale power market and bilateral energy markets.
This position will support these activities by ensuring compliance with AE’s Energy Risk Management Policies.
- Compiles daily settled prices and run simulations to value physical and financial portfolios
- Works closely with energy traders to reconcile, confirm and settle positions
- Develop and report on risk metrics such as Value at Risk
- Calculate implied volatilities for option valuation
- Provide back up support for all other credit & settlement functions in the section as needed
- To be considered, all relevant employment information must be included in your on-line application. Any information not included in your on-line application will not be considered.
- Describe your specific experience for each position.
- You must use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application, not your resume or cover letter.
- Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes.
- The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
- This position requires the use of an ERCOT Digital Certificate (EDC) and, therefore, will require a Security Review to determine if the candidate meets all the requirements for issuance of the EDC.
$36.10 – $47.71
Additional hours may be required as needed
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
721 Barton Springs Road
Knowledge and experience in Energy Risk Management for renewable power
Experience implementing and using ETRM systems
Advanced user of MS Office Excel and Access
Knowledge and experience in ERCOT DAM, RTM and CRR power markets
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Monitors compliance with approved fuel and energy trading and risk management policies, procedures, and processes, and perform regular audits.
- Reviews and validates historical price curves used for daily risk reporting and portfolio analysis.
- Develops, modifies, and implements computer models used in calculating risk management performance indicators including but not limited to portfolio market-to-market, VaR, P&L, and Option valuation.
- Develops models for automation of the risk control processes and functions using various advanced software. Apply new technology to improve risk control processes and reporting system. Provides support in the evaluation and selection of risk control and ERCOT settlement software.
- Researches and advises on the alternative technical solutions to the risk control related issues.
- Uses statistical modeling to track, evaluate, and report third party credit standings.
- Works closely with Energy Marketers to reconcile positions and align risk management strategies with short and mid term market conditions.
- Analyzes and confirms ERCOT settlement charges.
- Tests new risk calculations and evaluate risk model assumptions. Provides accounting support for wholesale power, fuel, and financial transactions.
- Monitors contracts for risk management activity compliance processes.
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of fuel and energy trading activities and associated risks.
- Knowledge of fuel and energy risk management tools.
- Knowledge of utility regulation and deregulation issues.
- Knowledge of ERCOT market rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of industry standard fuel and energy trading agreements.
- Skill in analyzing financial and statistical reports.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.