Brief Posting Description
Position is responsible for coordinating Safety and Health (S&H) programs and providing assistance to the staff in assigned area(s). Provides S&H services, including but not limited to industrial safety, industrial hygiene and S&H training to management, supervision, and employees in assigned area(s). Assists in the development and implementation of S&H programs, procedures, goals, and objectives for assigned area(s). Assess work practices, conditions, and assists employees implement the safety and health program.
Note: There is one position available, and the position will be staffed at one of the following levels: Safety & Health Coordinator I (NB17), Safety & Health Coordinator II (NB19), Safety & Health Coordinator III (NB21), or Senior Safety & Health Coordinator (NB22). This decision will be based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire. The position will be based at our headquarters office, Westminster, CO.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide S&H services, including but not limited to industrial safety, industrial hygiene, and S&H training to management, supervision, and employees in assigned area(s).
- Assist in the development and implementation of S&H programs, procedures, goals, and objectives for assigned area(s).
- Assess work practices, conditions, and assist employees implement the safety and health program.
- Complete inspections and audits, report on findings, and assist personnel correct hazards and compliance issues.
- Coordinate and complete investigations to identify the root causes of incidents, develop and implement corrective actions, and track corrective actions to closure.
- Develop and provide S&H training for employees on an initial and annual basis.
- Participate in or chair Safety Committee meetings as needed.
- Preparation of S&H reports and communications
- Maintain and issue S&H equipment, materials and supplies including calibration or certification.
- Help train other members of the corporate safety department.
- Maintain knowledge of current safety regulations that apply to the assigned area of work or facility and assist in the development of S&H rules and procedures needed to comply with regulations and industry standards.
- Maintain records and participate in any additional activities to accomplish the duties of the position.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Safety and Occupational Health or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Ability to work collaboratively and use teamwork to solve problems.
- Must have a mechanical aptitude sufficient to understand related operations and maintenance functions.
- Working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal, state and consensus adopted and promulgated safety and occupational health laws, regulations, standards, and practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Proficiency with Microsoft, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook is a must. Ability to research safety and health information is required.
- Ability to administer and coordinate training, and maintain training records, using a learning management system.
- Ability to develop and provide S&H training to assigned area(s).
- Willingness and ability to continuously maintain and improve knowledge and skills through continuing education and participation in professional organizations and meetings.
- Skills and abilities needed to design, facilitate, and coordinate projects and teams.
- Skills and abilities in time management, meeting deadlines, ensuring the accuracy and quality of work, and demonstrated continuous productivity in work experience.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships and resolve disputes.
The Senior Safety & Health Coordinator requires a minimum of eight (8) years of safety and occupational health experience in an industrial operation and maintenance work environment, with experience in the electric utility industry, including power plant experience, preferred. Those with less experience will be hired at the Safety & Health Coordinator I, II or III, as appropriate.
- Willingness to travel in the Tri-State service area 50% to 60% of time on an annual basis, including overnight stays, and use of company vehicle and airplane as appropriate. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level up to 10 lbs. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Incumbent must have finger dexterity, good vision, good color vision, good hearing, and ability to speak clearly, and handle intricate work.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to dust works around large industrial operating equipment.
All employees interested in this position may apply online at the Tri-State Intranet site.
Click on Job Postings, then click on the iRecruitment link, Log In, then click on the iRecruitment Employee Candidate link and then click on Search for jobs.
Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association is a wholesale electric power supplier owned by the 43 electric cooperatives that it serves. Tri-State generates and transmits electricity to its member systems throughout a 200,000 square-mile service territory across Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Serving approximately 1.5 million consumers, Tri-State was founded in 1952 by its member systems to provide a reliable, cost-based supply of electricity. Headquartered in Westminster, Colorado, about 1,500 people are employed by Tri-State throughout its four-state service area.
Tri-State's power is generated through a combination of owned baseload and peaking power plants that use coal and natural gas as their primary fuels, supplemented by purchased power, federal hydroelectricity allocations and renewable resource technologies. Tri-State delivers power to its members through a transmission system that includes substation facilities, telecommunications sites and over 5000 miles of high voltage transmission lines.
Interested? Here is how to Apply: Tri-State: Join the people behind the power. Tri-State recognizes the value of a highly-engaged and committed workforce and provides an excellent benefits program that includes medical, dental, retirement and life insurance. Please visit our careers site at www.tristategt.org/careers/for more details.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran