SCADA/EMS Analyst II (QA)
Job Requisition Number
Electric Service Delivery (115)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or Mathematics plus three (3) years experience in a field related to SCADA/EMS, Power System Control, or Unix work experience.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
This position is part of Control Engineering Quality Assurance (QA) Administration group, providing real time operational support for SCADA/EMS and ADMS systems at Austin Energy. On call support for 24/7 coverage is required to ensure that the critical SCADA/EMS and ADMS systems used by System Control Center operators are reliable and accurate. The position will also perform NERC/CIP regulatory compliance activities and provide technical support for maintenance such as field upgrades, system upgrades, and repairs to SCADA/EMS and ADMS systems. This position expects independent action under limited supervision.
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates. Any gaps in employment must have an explanation and dates of unemployment.
Resumes will not be accepted. Statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application.
The responses to the supplemental questions must reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
If you have any questions regarding your City of Austin employment application, please use the official website of the City of Austin as reference. www.austintexas.gov
Candidates selected for interview(s) may be required to complete an assessment(s).
VETERAN INTERVIEW PREFERENCE:
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 verifying honorable discharge, at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Additional work hours may be required to support the 24-hour Utility operations, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, inclement weather and emergency closures.
This position requires bending, lifting, walking, carrying, pushing, pushing and using a force equal to lifting fifty (50) pounds at constant levels throughout the day.
This position may work outside in extreme weather conditions to include: cold, hot, wet, heavy winds, storms, etc.
This position also requires:
- Fine dexterity control and forceful gripping for both right and left hands
- Manual/physical dexterity while working in extreme weather conditions
- Finger dexterity needed to hold tools & equipment components
- Climbing & crawling on hands and knees to access equipment
- Squatting and kneeling
- Prolong standing while working on equipment
- Manual dexterity for reaching overhead, over shoulders, and turning body side to side
- Bending and stooping
- Good color vision in order to view documents, blue prints, etc.
- Utilization of eyes for long periods of time while working on detail and or reading plans, materials instructions, schematics, etc.
- Physical and mental capacity to safely operate a motor vehicle during day or nighttime
- Wearing personal protective wear, work in extreme temperatures
- Ability to communicate in a high noise area.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK:
- Attentive and focused 100%
- Attention to detail 100%
- Safety and risk conscientious 100%.
The top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10 year criminal history background check.FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT:
This position is considered FLSA Exempt
CLOSING OF REQUISITION:
Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement.
$34.80 – $49.81
Monday – Friday
7:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Additional work hours may be required to support the 24-hour Utility operations, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, inclement weather and emergency closures.outside of regular schedule.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
2500 Montopolis Drive Austin, Texas
The following Preferred Qualification are Considered Critical:
- Experience in using Windows OS in a domain environment to troubleshoot problems in a networked computer system.
- Experience installing software on Windows OS.
- Experience with computer scripting languages.
- Experience with Microsoft Professional Suite applications, including Word, Excel, and Visio or AutoCad.
- Experience with TCP/IP networking, firewalls, and VLANs.
- Experience with NERC/CIP regulatory compliance or similar regulatory compliance.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Leads and supports 7/24 real-time control system integrity.
- Oversees and leads daily evaluations and tunes real-time control systems operations.
- Communicates with dispatchers, engineers and field crews.
- Performs trouble shooting, problem analysis and resolution.
- Coordinates and analyzes the real-time control system user's request.
- Develops and implements enhancements or modifications.
- Communicates activity status to customers and management.
- Performs engineering analysis, configuration, repair, and quality control of SCADA equipment.
- Updates, maintains and documents security controls.
- Enforces security policies and procedures by administering and monitoring data security profiles.
- Designs and develops configuration for Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) function.
- Performs engineering analysis, configuration, and quality control of SCADA equipment.
- Oversees and leads technical consultation on complex system issues.
- Makes recommendations and suggestions to management and users.
- Interacts with EMS vendor or third-party technology vendors.
- Stays abreast of the changing technology environment.
- Oversees efforts to keep up with the latest developments in the utility industry, to meet.
- Write technical and business documentation (including audit and training).
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Electric Reliability Council of Texas
- Ability to work with Unix (TRU64 Unix preferred).
- Ability to lead teams and serve as project manager.
- Ability to understand database design and application development.
- Ability to perform systems testing of specification requirements.
- Ability to understand and use standard application development design, report and project management tools.
- Ability to effectively participate in multiple projects or project capacities.
- Ability to perform objective analyses and re-engineering of business processes to maximize quality service and cost-effectiveness.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.