Local Unit & Position Description
DNV GL - Energy’s Civil Engineering team is growing rapidly. Our team is comprised of highly skilled geotechnical, structural and civil engineers charged with ensuring the foundations of the wind and solar industry are consistent with current standards and prepared to operate well into the future of the renewable energy industry. We mitigate risk and are the keystone to helping some of the largest, technically complex renewable projects develop successfully. Our team is engaged, dedicated, focused, and is driving the industry in the application of advanced structural engineering to the wind, solar, and energy storage industry.
The Senior Civil Structural Engineer will act as a key member of the global civil engineering team, engaged in leading a world class team of civil structural engineers performing analysis, design review, construction observation, and analysis of structural failures of wind and solar energy systems. The engineer in this position will have a highly visible role and be involved in multiple wind and solar energy projects in parallel, worldwide. DNV GL is seeking a highly motivated, experienced and engaging engineer to directly and positively influence the renewable energy design industry. This position could be based in any of the following offices Oakland, CA; San Diego, CA, Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; Houston TX; Medford, MA Tasks May Include
- Review of design drawings and calculations for wind and solar energy foundations structural support systems, to support project financing.
- Communicating complex structural engineering concepts and design review findings to financial lenders and other non-technical stakeholders, as responsible engineer in charge, in support of design reviews, on billions of dollars of projects throughout North America and internationally.
- Evaluation of pre-market design concepts for wind and solar energy structural support systems.
- Growing existing and developing new civil engineering services for the renewable energy industry. Annual business development expectation of $500k - $1M
- Evaluation and root cause analyses of wind and solar energy system structural failurest.
- Observation and documentation of wind and solar energy construction.
Opportunities Beyond Business Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package. DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf Local employment conditions apply. Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
- Bachelor of Science –Structural Engineering plus 6 years of structural engineering design and/or research experience (including academic experience) of wind or solar energy foundations and structural support systems. Master’s degree preferred
- Structural Engineer (S.E.) License (NCEES SE Exam compliant) preferred
- Proficiency in IBC, ASCE 7, AISC, ACI, NBCC, EuroCode and other common structural design codes
- Proficiency in SAP, STAAD, ABAQUS and other common structural analysis programs
- Proficiency in PYTHON and/or MATLAB coding for structural engineering applications
- Proficiency in analysis for fatigue in reinforced concrete subject to high cycle demand (Eurocode, CEB FIP MC 2010, DNV OS C502)
- Prior research or design experience with reinforced concrete wind turbine foundations desired
- Understanding of foundation systems for utility scale onshore wind turbines
- Understanding of common solar PV foundation systems and geotechnical aspects of design
- Prior research or design experience with wind-induced dynamic loading of Solar PV structural support systems is a plus
- Understanding of typical construction methods for wind and solar energy.
Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time (domestic and international travel) Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time (domestic and international travel)
- Must have a proven HSE mindset, be able to use common construction personal protective equipment, walk over uneven terrain, climb ladders.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Second language preferred
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.