Date: Jul 16, 2019
Location: Jackson, MI, US
Company: CMS Energy Enterprises
CMS Enterprises owns and operates independent power generating plants, natural gas assets and an energy marketing group for the non-utility segment of CMS Energy's business. We are proud of our strong history of reliably serving our utility, municipal, commercial and industrial customers. Equally important to us is our role as a responsible corporate citizen through environmental stewardship and providing direct and indirect employment opportunities and other economic benefits to the communities we serve. Our strategy is focused on continued exceptional financial results through strong operations and safety performance, optimization of our assets, and disciplined growth in the domestic energy sector.
Are you looking for the opportunity to join a groundbreaking and transformative company that is changing the Midwestern power generation footprint? Are you a strong communicator who thrives in problem solving and wide-ranging technical fields? Do you possess strong leadership abilities? Do you have a solid background in power generation and distribution? We invite you to apply to become a Senior Electrical Engineer within CMS Enterprises (CMSE). Seize this opportunity to become a senior team member of a growing and innovative energy provider.
The Senior Electrical Engineer shall:
- Be responsible for wide-ranging activities ranging from condition assessment and troubleshooting of existing electrical/controls systems through completing analytical studies (e.g., short circuit, load flow, power quality) and overseeing new construction/commissioning.
- Understand distributed control systems, grounding, lightning protection; and, potentially low, medium, and high voltage AC/DC systems.
- Support various plant modernization projects focused on optimizing power distribution systems as well as configuring the layout and interface of new renewable energy systems with the existing power grid.
- Be knowledgeable of NERC and generator interconnection requirements.
- Prepare studies, reports, recommendations supporting CMSE projects
- Conduct detailed analyses using Electrical software such as ETAP®
- Field investigations, walk downs, and retrofit design
- Support new CMSE renewables investment projects
- Prepare single line, communications, and other diagrams
- High School Diploma OR GED.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 4+ years increasingly responsible and challenging experience (office/field).
- Knowledge of electrical software including ETAP®, SKM.
- Knowledge of AC/DC power, control, grounding, protection and other systems.
- Troubleshooting/retrofit knowledge (electrical/controls).
The following skills / experience may set you apart from others:
- Strong verbal/written communication skills
- Professional Engineering (PE) License
- Leadership skills
- Planning, design, construction, and maintenance of electric generation and distribution systems as well as facilities and ancillary support process for Enterprises operations.
- Individual shall possess the skills to lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment. Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company’s compliance standards.
- Lead and/or assist with engineering projects to include design, planning, inspections, systems analysis, specifications, reporting, contracts, schedules, estimates, data collection, construction observation, and field investigation.
- Provide engineering services with accuracy, integrating all applicable governmental and company laws, standards and procedures on time and under budget. Use computer assisted engineering, design, and drafting software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Understand and follow company established standard procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
- Assists in client contact and communication.
- Utilize effective oral and written communication skills to provide technical expertise to coworkers, clients, customers, government entities and the public.
- Public involvement may include producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material as well as occasional speaking or meeting with stakeholders.
- Attend internal and external meetings.
- Provide all engineering services in a legal and ethical manner.
- Resolve all customer complaints in a timely manner.
- Serve as onsite project representative.
- Reviews operating and construction sites to monitor progress and other duties per the design documents.
Hours and Travel
- This position requires the individual work a minimum of 40 hours per week (45-50 typical) with 85% of time spent in the office or specific field locations.
- Travel is required to job sites and project meetings and could be significant dependent upon location.
- Individuals need to be willing to work additional hours as necessary to meet deadlines or assist with storm restoration activities.
- Individual should be willing to participate in the on call rotation in case of potential storms.
- Individual may have to work outside of assigned headquarters to help with storm restoration which may require overnight stays.
- Individuals must have a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job responsibilities.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to stand and walk for periods of up to and beyond eight hours in all kinds of weather; snow, mud, dirt water, ice, etc.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and move up to fifty pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must also be able to access wind turbine nacelles in accordance with industry and project safety requirements, including ability to climb metal ladders without any climbing assistance and self-rescue.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the job duties:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The noise level on the construction site is often loud.
- Individual must have the ability to work up to 16 continuous hours during emergent work.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Nearest Major Market: Jackson Michigan
Nearest Secondary Market: Ann Arbor
Job Segment: Construction, Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Electrical, Drafting, Engineering