Location(s): TX - Amarillo
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Responsible for daily administration, problem-solving, and oversight of one or more advanced applications utilized to control and monitor the electrical grid. Responsible for ongoing development and implementation of SCADA applications. Apply business knowledge and application expertise to support the implementation and maintenance of the Energy Management System (EMS) database and display work activity for the electrical system and available telemetry. Assess the need for and monitor modifications to the database impacting the real-time SCADA System while supporting other applications including Automatic Generation Control (AGC), IEM, ICCP, ITS, and Network Analysis, which are all used for controlling and monitoring Xcel Energy's electrical grid.
- Evaluate and identify the impact of database changes for assigned areas and across impacted Regional Transmission Systems (RTS) and Regional Transmission Organizations (RTOs). Analyze and determine the correct system operating changes related to the transmission, distribution, and generation electrical system using data collected from engineering projects and available company diagrams. Determine which advanced applications will be affected by changes. Plan and conduct research in problem areas of varying scope and complexity. Resolve and/or make recommendations regarding unique issues and problems. Coordinate ongoing work activities with Control System Operators, Energy Markets, field personnel, technicians, neighboring utilities, appropriate power pools, and other Database Specialists, as required.
- Ensure correct system configuration is available for field technicians. Implement changes to the real-time SCADA database in a timely manner using Oracle and Spectrum DBA, as needed. Update displays to reflect changes on the system. Monitor database changes to ensure accurate and complete. Complete testing before, during and after implementation, as required. Resolve and/or make recommendations regarding problems encountered in testing or implementation phases.
- Provide expertise to management in one or more of the advanced applications, to recommend, and to incorporate these changes appropriately. Provide direction and support to less senior team members and users of the advanced applications.
- Responsible to develop plans for and to ensure enhancement of existing database and display maintenance methods. Ensure the integrity of the database using special utilities, AIX UNIX, and SQL. Support new and changing requirements by the end-users of the system. Set up and maintain all data to be archived.
- Develop, recommend, and maintain standards, policies, and procedures for the EMS database and displays for standardization across all three regions of Xcel.
- Provide training and work direction to others working in the database and display maintenance group. Provide technical expertise to less senior team members and functional and business areas including engineering, Energy Markets, MISO, and other utilities, and as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field or equivalent combination of education, training and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
- Minimum of 5 years SCADA or related Utility work experience, or 7 years database or related Utility work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skill and detail orientation.
- Strong ability to work as member of a cross functional team.
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of EMS and SCADA database applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the regulatory practices impacting Utilities (e.g., FERC 888) and the ability to assess the impact on applicable databases and operations.
- Knowledge of SQL and/or AIX UNIX. Demonstrated knowledge of Xcel Energy’s electrical grid, and applicable RTS and RTOs.
For Job Description, please contact:
Your HR Business Consultant
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo || United States (US) || Utilities and Corporate Servic || 41510:IO Transmission || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 16486
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com