Provides advanced-level analysis and strategy development to implement and maintain systems, production, distributions, and utilization of electric energy for domestic, commercial, and industrial consumption while increasing systems analysis responsibilities and continuing to develop knowledge of industry regulations and issues. Manage less complex or low-risk projects through in-depth analysis, specification development, and testing. Provide a broad knowledge of appropriate practices and procedures. Assignments have clear and specified objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creates radial models without direction from others. Automates the models with macros and scripts and understands how to apply complex model concepts (weather normalization, load duration curves). Uses the PSS/E modeling software for radial circuit applications. Performs motor starting analysis under the direction of more experienced engineers on the radial distribution system to determine the effect on the system and make recommendations to mitigate any adverse effects on the system.
- Creates modeling requirements of the secondary network model. Verifies the accuracy of engineering analysis software.
- Performs arc flash studies with minimal oversight.
- Performs system protection studies (fuse - fuse, fuse - infield reclosers - substation breakers) with minimal oversight. Works proficiently with the American Transmission Company fault model and applies this model to distribution system protection studies with minimal oversight.
- Provides intermediate-level assistance and support of equipment and systems. Maintains, updates, and verifies the equipment and facility model.
- Analyzes, designs, and manages projects to include, but not limited to, performing the necessary research, planning, and analysis to determine a project's scope, objectives, and requirements and coordinates and/or performs the required design, testing, and implementation tasks. Manages all aspects of a project's life cycle including project management, methodology, and personnel and ensures it is done on time, is within budget, and accomplishes its objectives. Communicates with end users for direction and guidance.
- Performs electric distribution studies for Distributed Energy Resources (DER) interconnections with oversight from other department staff. Provides project management oversight for DER interconnections.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned and requested. Provides research and recommendations for improvements of existing systems.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or other engineering field or equivalent experience.
- Five plus years of relevant work experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Advanced knowledge of engineering principles and theory including analysis, modeling, and electric power system operation or gas distribution operation. Understanding of high-, medium-, and low-voltage systems. Strong engineering background.
- Applied knowledge of using models for analysis. Able to validate models for understanding of models.
- Advanced knowledge of project management methodologies. Advanced project management skills and abilities.
- Implements and improves other engineers' design approaches.
- Able to implement Company goals within a team structure and as an individual.
- Valid driver's license.