Local Unit & Position Description
Does influencing the world for future generations matter to you? Would working within an organizational culture that shares such values be attractive to you? Do you have a strong background in project development and preparing renewable energy permit applications? Then this may be the perfect job for you!
DNV GL - Energy is seeking a Senior Environmental and Permitting Project Manager responsible for leading project development and permitting activities including the preparation of local, state, and national renewable energy permit applications, associated environmental and social impact studies, stakeholder engagement sessions, and land use and zoning permit applications for projects primarily in the midwest and eastern United States. The ideal candidate for this position is located on the East Coast or Midwest United States.
Tasks May Include
- Leading or contributing to the following studies and permit applications:
- Site selection and characterization studies
- Permitting and compliance matrix
- Technical permitting studies, such as visual impact assessments, and management plans
- Lead environmental assessments and environmental impact statements
- Zoning variance, local ordinance compliance, conditional use, and other permit applications
- Act as Project Manager for multi-disciplinary projects, interfacing with Customers, maintaining quality from sales through delivery, and delivering on DNV GL’s comprehensive service offerings from pre-feasibility through to decommissioning. The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for multiple client interactions, including scoping, status reporting, and discussion and review of project deliverables
- Direct the work of environmental specialists including biologists, archaeologists, GIS analysts, and sub-consultants in some cases
- Responsible for business development activities, identifying opportunities in the local market maintaining the required network of contacts (specifically regarding state and local permitting applications), and providing key market intelligence to help develop services according to the local industry needs
- Give technical presentations and participate in panel discussions at industry workshops and conferences
- Collaborate directly with other business groups, specifically the Solar, Energy Storage & Distributed Energy Resources, Offshore Wind, and Owner’s Engineering teams, to complete multi-disciplinary deliverables
- Attend agency and municipality meetings, open houses, and stakeholder engagement sessions
- Engage in facilitating innovative and new service offerings and participate in innovation and digitalization projects under the coordination of the Director of Environmental and Permitting Services
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required
- Concentration in Environmental Science, Engineering, Geology, Biology, or a similar field preferred
- Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years of experience with environmental and/or permitting in the renewable energy industry and/or experience in regulatory affairs required
- Excellent project management skills are required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is a plus
- Experience with the regulatory requirements, such as the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), Article 10 of the New York Public Service Law, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), or other relevant state and federal regulations, with an ability to quickly adapt to new regulatory frameworks required
- Self-starter, able to generate and contract new business, manage projects entirely independently, train and develop junior staff, manage sensitive and confidential customer information, and ability to understand when to delegate and escalate tasks and issues as they arise
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail are a must
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 20% of the time, domestic and international
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment background and drug screening
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work toward our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!