At SDG&E, we are committed to the community we call home, delivering clean, safe and reliable energy to better the lives of the people we serve in San Diego and southern Orange counties. Our commitment means we are creating a sustainable future by providing almost 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and, investing in innovative technologies to ensure safe and reliable operation of the region's infrastructure for generations to come.
Our highly trained and responsive employees with their diverse skills, talents and ideas are the reason we can deliver on our commitment and are building America's best energy company. They are also the reason why we have been recognized with the industry's most coveted awards. Our employees undertake challenging work, and receive highly competitive compensation and benefits. As one of the region's largest employers, we're always searching for talented and bright people to join our team. After all, it takes the best to build the best.
Responsible for supporting the commercial and strategic objectives of SDG&E's Origination and Portfolio Design group within the Electric and Fuels Procurement department including technical and financial analysis. The broad spectrum of work includes design, pricing and structuring transactions for trading and origination. Has primary responsibility for the daily maintenance and incremental improvement of SDG&E's RPS position model as well as ensuring that the financial and technical modeling developed in support of least-cost, best-fit (LCBF) analyses is valid. Conducts deliberate and ad-hoc analyses related to SDG&E's energy procurement and portfolio design activities in response to internal or external data requests and in support of other requirements. Provides analytical support for requirements, such as regulatory filings and the issuance of Request for Offers (RFOs) seeking conventional and renewable energy resources.
- Updates the RPS position model to include the most recent delivery assumptions related to SDG&E's RPS contract portfolio (consisting of ~60 renewable contracts) as well as utility owned RPS assets. Updates the model to include the most recent bundled retail sales forecast, past deliveries, and other information as required. Ensures communication and internal coordination to effectively update models with the most current information available.
- Utilizes, maintains, validates and may develop models in support of least-cost, best-fit (LCBF) modeling for conventional, renewable, energy storage and other preferred resources. Ensures that the financial and technical modeling developed in support of least-cost, best-fit analyses is valid in supporting decisions related to the procurement of conventional resources (including capacity and energy, resource adequacy (RA) and related products or services), renewable and other resources (including energy storage, demand response, energy efficiency and intermittent resources) and other energy or related products or services (such as greenhouse gas offsets).
- Conducts ad-hoc or planned analysis related to SDG&E's energy procurement portfolio in response to data requests or other requirements. Provides guidance in the development of analytical approaches in emerging areas such as energy storage or the evaluation of preferred resources (such as demand response and energy efficiency).
- Supports the preparation of regulatory filings through conducting and communicating the outcome of various energy related analyses. Filings include (but are not limited to) the Renewable (RPS) Procurement Plan, RPS Compliance Report, CHP Semi-annual Report, Project Development Status Report (RPS database upload) and advice letters or applications seeking Commission approval of energy related contracts.
- Works with and effectively communicates with various Independent Evaluators (IEs) as they report on SDG&E's energy and related procurement activities. Ensures that IEs fully understand SDG&E's procurement activities and can render accurate opinions related to SDG&E's procurement process, recommended shortlists and energy related contracts.
- Provides expertise and guidance, and may lead various aspects, in the Request for Offers (RFO) process. Includes such activities as RFO document development, planning for and conducting bidder's conferences, working with other SDG&E groups to publicize or promulgate the RFO, and presenting RFO results to SDG&E's Procurement Review Group. Provides recommendations in the evaluation of bids / RFOs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a bachelor's degree in a quantitative field such as Accounting, Finance, Engineering or demonstrating equivalent experience.
CPA, CFA, MBA and/or other professional certifications/advanced degrees are preferred.
Typically requires 5-7 years of relevant work experience