Sr Distribution Design Engineer
To perform professional technical and analytical functions in distribution and transmission facilities including the development of design standards, work methods and procedures, training programs, and the development and revision of District policy, rules, procedures, regulations and programs to ensure compliance with SMUD and all other relevant safety and engineering codes, laws and regulations..Major Duties & Responsibilities
1. Leads utility system design of distribution projects of a complex, difficult, standard or non-standard nature, by planning, directing, coordinating, and overseeing project design, analysis, study, construction and equipment installation; by directing, preparing, and/or overseeing the preparation of, standards, layout and construction drawings, equipment specifications, and design procedures; by preparing, or directing; and by reviewing and/or developing project schedules and budgets. To address and resolve equipment and material related issues with significant ramifications to distribution services and the District.
2. Contributes and coordinates the development of general operating procedures, guidelines, for system facilities including substations, transmission and distribution, by formulating, preparing, or overseeing the preparation of, those procedures and documents and making recommendations to appropriate District authority.
3. Maintains contact with and represents the District to internal and external groups and committees: provides technical representation and guidance in matters affecting District standards, programs and practices related to distribution and transmission design; and provides information and expertise for the development of industry design and application standards to technical and professional engineering commit tees such as ANSI, IEEE, and regulatory commissions.
4. Contributes to the construction and operational safety of District facilities by reviewing District safety practices and history and recommending changes to facility design and construction. To improve safety and ensure adherence to applicable codes and regulations.
5. Assists in developing the required employee competencies by assessing employee skills and training needs; evaluating, selecting and modifying training programs; developing and presenting technical training; arranging for and coordinating training conducted by others; facilitating the exchange of expertise and knowledge within the work group and with other work groups; and providing coaching and mentoring as needed. To ensure that staff are trained and capable of meeting SMUD's performance expectations.
6. Assists in planning, reviewing and conducting work activities and researching required project information associated with department internal/external projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plan/contract.
7. To support the overall achievement and completion of department projects.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Electrical Engineering or related field.
5 or more years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, design, and operation of electric utility distribution systems.
Principles, procedures, and practices related to distribution overhead and underground line design including statics, strength of materials, sag and tension, pulling tensions, and related items; specialized equipment including distribution line and transmission/distribution sub-station equipment and materials; principles, procedures, and practices related to the design basis for distribution line, distribution and transmission sub-station design elements, components, and hardware; principles, procedures, and practices related to electrical power engineering including circuit analysis, electrical equipment design, short circuit calculations, grounding, protective relaying, and power system analysis; federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations governing safety standards, codes, and utility practices utilized in the design of distribution system lines including transmission sub-stations; principles, procedures, and practices related to the manufacturing processes of electrical equipment and components including welding, rubber/fiberglass/plastic extruding, metal fabrication, and assembly; applicable industry standards such as GO 95, GO 128, ANSI, IEEE, NEMA, ICEA, ASTM, ISO 9000, ISO 9001 and ISO 9002.
PE License is desirable