DescriptionJob Requisition:Sr. Protection & Control EngineerJob Description:
Sr. Protection & Control Engineer ---Orlando FL. Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
We are seeking a Senior Protection & Control Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team, working in a fast paced environment, and solving challenging substation engineering problems. In the project engineering role the qualified individual will require a combination of strong engineering and communication skills that will facilitate teaching less experienced engineers. The position will include reporting to project managers, mentoring and directing design engineers and CADD/designer staff while also performing design quality reviews. Additionally, the candidate may be responsible for interfacing directly with clients and other staff in remote office locations. Assignments cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support. Design work may range from Substation physical layouts to Protection and Control schemes at 12.5kV through 500kV to Smart Grid and substation communications projects.
Job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Act as lead engineer on projects
• Coach, mentor, train and instruct others
• Prepare equipment specifications, analyzes bids, makes recommendations for purchase
• Apply standards including the NESC, IEEE, IEC, and is familiar with design guides such as the RUS Bulletin 1742E-200
• Familiar with state and federal safety, regulatory compliance requirements, and construction codes
• Prepare project analysis, budgets, schedules, and plans
• Prepares construction and procurement documents
• Supports construction and substation and equipment commissioning
The successful candidate will demonstrate their capability to perform the job functions with a combination of the following educations, experience, knowledge, and skills. These include:
• BS in Electrical Engineering from an accredited four-year institution with 4-8+ years of experience related to the engineering and design of utility transmission and distributions substations to 500 kV; a MS Electrical Engineering degree with 2 – 6+ years of prior relevant experience, will also be considered.
The successful candidate will apply a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to substation engineering, design, and operation in the electric utility industry.
• Electrical and civil engineering principles and practices as applied in the electric utility environment and the ability to analyze,
• Experience in the following areas:
• Substation site selection and permitting
• Arrangement and layout
• Equipment selection and specification
• Component and material assemblies
• One and three-line diagrams
• Knowledge of contemporary protection microprocessor based equipment and integration of same into operating schemes functioning with distributed intelligence
• Control and protection schemes including the preparation of schematics and wiring diagrams
• Application and interconnection of SCADA systems
• Substation grounding analysis and design
• Cabling and wiring and associated conduit systems
• Proficient in the use of computer software used for the planning, analysis, and design of electric utility projects;
• Proficient in the use of typical office computer software such as Word, Excel, Project, Acrobat Adobe
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
• Demonstrated technical writing skills