Strategic Business Planner (II/Senior) - Electric Vehicle
PurposeThis position will be filled at either the Journey or Senior level depending on candidate pool
Strategic Business Planner II: $105,776 - $140,074
Senior Strategic Business Planner : $111,132-$147,152
SMUD is offering a great opportunity to help facilitate the transition to clean transportation in the Sacramento Area. SMUD, your community owned electric company is seeking an Electric Vehicle Strategic Business Planner to support SMUD’s enterprise strategy development around electric vehicles and help see that strategy is implemented in pilots and new programs that support significant EV market growth. The strategies and related programs will need to strike a balance between meeting customer needs and desires with meeting SMUD’s internal business objectives to maximize the value that the emerging EV market can provide to the community.
The Electric Vehicle Strategic Business Planner will support in developing a 3-5 year strategies for the promotion of electric vehicles in the Sacramento region, including investment in EV infrastructure, partnership with customers and other EV stakeholders, delivery of infrastructure services, rate and managed charging strategies. This role will also implement and lead pilot programs and support development of EV delivery portfolio, program prioritization, alignment to strategy, key performance indicators and metrics.
The position is part of SMUD’s Distributed Energy Strategy team, which is charged with developing the enterprise strategy for SMUD relating to PV, EVs, EE, Load Flexibility, and Distributed Storage, and implementing pilot programs and initiatives relating to the changing utility business model in an increasingly distributed and decarbonized energy future.
This posting is also intended to create an eligibility list which may be used to fill future full-time and limited-term vacancies and can be active for up to two years.
Desirable QualificationsThe ideal candidate will possess knowledge of:
Plug-in electric vehicle market, key adoption drivers and market barriers. Policies that influence PEV adoption including the Low Carbon Fuel Standard and the Zero Emission Vehicle mandate. PEV growth trends, projections, electricity and charging infrastructure implications. Consumer vehicle adoption considerations and key drivers and barriers to adoption. Familiarity with utility rate setting processes and customer charging behavior and options. Familiarity with energy storage technology performance, cost, and implications for industry trends relating to PEVs. Strategy development processes, project management principles, financial models and analytical methods.
Minimum QualificationsStrategic Business Planner II :
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Marketing, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience. (If no degree, 9+ years of experience is required.
Five (5)+ years of progressively responsible relevant experience. Experience should include project management, business and/or budget planning and/or developing and monitoring business performance measures and metrics.
Senior Strategic Business Planner:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Marketing, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience. (If no degree, 11+ years of experience is required.)
Seven (7)+ years of progressively responsible relevant experience. Experience should include project management, business and/or budget planning and/or developing and monitoring business performance measures and metrics.
Customer experience concepts and experience working with others within SMUD to gather and summarize the potential market and/or impact of products, services, process improvements and/or construction projects as they relate to our customers; characteristics and operational needs of various organizational units; techniques and practices for problem research and resolution; principles and techniques of research and analysis; principles of performance measures development, application, planning and evaluation; principals of project management, cost accounting, work management and managerial reporting systems; interrelationships between SMUD’s operations and relevant external; principles and practices for contract management; principles and practices of budget preparation and administration; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and other special agreements; principles and procedures of record keeping and filing; principles of business letter writing and basic report preparation; mathematical principles; office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Manage multiple projects and planning processes of moderate complexity; analyze complex issues and develop/implement resolution alternatives; analyze procedures/systems and develop/implement operational improvements; analyze situations, documents and data for conformance to established policy and procedures; gather data from appropriate sources and identify relevant factors; interpret, clarify, understand and analyze verbal/written information and ideas; compile and prepare technical, statistical and/or analytical reports and presentations; independently prepare a variety of correspondence and memoranda; compile data, maintain records and files, and prepare administrative or technical reports; develop and implement new and revised policies and procedures to provide for the effective operation of the area of responsibility; develop, implement and maintain work procedures; plan, organize, prioritize and schedule projects; assist in budget preparation and administration; operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications; interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
Major Duties & Responsibilities• Coordinate and support key business initiatives by developing short and long term strategic and operational plans to drive and support implementation of customer programs, operational enhancements, product solutions, or other services to meet SMUDs strategic business objectives.
• Establish 3-year strategic and/or operating plan for assigned unit. Coordinate the monthly forecast process, ensure “line of sight” between project outline and delivery. Use existing financial models and/or develop new models, spreadsheets or other techniques to analyze financial and business planning issues. Including researching and analyzing data to identify major drivers of performance, customer experience and interpret trends to develop, present, and implement value-added solutions to optimize resources and processes.
• Define, review and monitor operational/program metrics; support requests for project maintenance and creation to ensure business alignment; collaborate with stakeholders to determine measures of success to ensure program/project changes benefits are realized; serves as a liaison between workgroup/business units to facilitate business needs.
• Develop and support recommendations with accurate financial analysis and rigorous financial or economic theory. Review analyses, reports or other decision documents prepared by other contributors or stakeholders and provide comments or additional analyses to improve the overall quality of information provided to management.
• Develop, prioritize and evaluate strategic customer initiatives including technology, energy technology and capital projects. Incorporate primary and secondary customer research to ensure that the voice of the customer is considered.
• Oversees contract management for assigned area, ensure vendors are meeting SLA’s, evaluate contracts and determine if extensions or a new RFP is necessary to sustain business processes/needs.
• Establish delivery tactics, budgets, key performance indicators and metrics within the planning framework for all initiatives to guide the implementation process. Work closely with implementation teams to track and adjust plans on an on-going basis to ensure a positive customer experience and ongoing success.
• Partner with applicable stakeholders within and across business units and departments to ensure coordination, consistency, and continuity of planning processes and projects. Proactively focus attention on areas requiring attention.
• Connect and coordinate with applicable external stakeholders including other utilities, research groups, policy groups, regulators, consortiums, other organizations at a regional and national level to provide input and insights on best practices, industry trends and opportunities for program or process improvements and new service options.
• Provide clear, concise, and meaningful information and recommendations to management, including feasibility studies to define business opportunities and to gain approval for implementation of initiatives, and business justifications for approval that include the costs and benefits of alternative solutions and recommended solutions.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.