Substation Construction & Maintenance Superintendent
Job Requisition Number
Electric Service Delivery (115)
Licenses or Certifications:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus eight (8) years experience in a related field, two (2) years of which were in a supervisory capacity
Notes to Applicants
The Substation Construction & Maintenance Superintendent manages the teams that construct and maintain the entire substation system for Austin Energy. This position is responsible for the full range of supervisory duties including work assignments and monitoring, staff development, performance reviews and disciplinary actions. The ideal candidate is a motivated and organized team player with proven experience as a successful leader.
If you are selected to interview:
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Gaps in employment must include an explanation and dates of unemployment. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as “see résumé” will not be accepted.
- Responses to Supplemental Questions should reference your work history listed in the Employment Record section. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job will be assessed through computer-based skills testing.
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- If you are selected for this position, and meet the City of Austin Driving Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations in order to maintain the safe delivery of electric service for the City of Austin.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
$41.78 – $55.31
- Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 4:00pm with some flexibility
- This position is considered “essential” which may require you to work outside of normal business hours to support 24-hour utility operations.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
2412 Kramer Lane, Austin, TX 78741
- Four (4) or more years of experience performing the full range of supervisory responsibilities including selection/hiring, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal for a team of four (4) or more field personnel performing substation construction or maintenance activities
- Twelve (12) or more years of experience with substation construction and maintenance practices, equipment, and techniques in an electric utility
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with electric utility safety practices and procedures, and experience promoting safety in a leadership role
- Experience developing and managing budgets for construction operations and maintenance projects
- Four (4) or more years of experience facilitating compliance with utility regulatory requirements (NERC/CIP/ERCOT)
- Two (2) or more years of experience facilitating compliance with quality management systems such as ISO-9001
- Experience using asset management software to track and manage maintenance records
- Experience responding to system failures, including outside standard work hours
- Demonstrated skill in communicating technical and general information orally and in writing, including preparing written reports, procedures and presentations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel 2013
- Ability to travel to more than one work location
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Develops and implements the substation maintenance plan and schedule
- Calculates resource requirements to achieve reliability objectives
- Determines and recommend maintenance needs
- Provides technical information on impact of system upgrades on current Transmission system reliability
- Develops and manages both capital and O&M budgets
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of substation electrical equipment, including relays
- Knowledge of technical aspects of transmission systems
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance practices, equipment and techniques
- Knowledge of utility financial, regulatory and managerial accounting practices
- Knowledge of federal, state and local building and environmental codes
- Ability to interpret technical drawings and manufactures specifications
- Ability to interpret technical drawings and calculate resources required for construction and maintenance
- Ability to calculate construction and maintenance requirements
- Ability to develop and manage a comprehensive maintenance operation
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.