Position Summary Description
Performs complex substation electrical utility system inspection, analysis, design, and other design assignments requiring demonstrated proficiency of engineering principles, ethical behavior and the exercise of sound professional judgment. Supports projects and coordinates the design and construction of major electric utility substation physical facilities. Develops documentation for substation facility compliance with the NERC Reliability Standards.
* Provides technical direction and support for substation staff in the performance of their design, construction and testing responsibilities.
* Coordinates activities in the following areas: project definition, engineering and equipment specifications and design, permitting and construction.
* Interprets contract requirements for engineering and construction services or equipment supply.
* Prepares engineering progress reports including design, construction, manufacturing, and consulting activities associated with assigned projects.
* As required, prepares and presents expert testimony in hearings and litigation involving NERC Reliability Standards compliance audits.
* Prepares and updates system documentation including substation drawings/diagrams, equipment documentation and data, operating manuals, practices, and procedures.
* Designs and specifies substation materials, equipment and monitoring and recording equipment, oversees installation and maintenance.
* Other duties as applicable to the position or as assigned.
This position interacts with all SECI departments, A/E firms, construction contractors, material and equipment suppliers, manufacturer’s representatives, other utilities, permitting agencies, public interest groups and professional organizations, as well as the general public.
Some travel and work outside of normal business hours. On-site inspection duties involving occasional overnight travel within the service territory may be required. May be temporarily assigned to construction site locations. While working in certain areas of the plant there is the potential for exposure to hazards typical of an industrial working environment. Must be able to follow established protective measures including, wearing required personal protective equipment (PPE). Must possess a valid Florida driver's license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report. Must be able to lift and carry over 25 pounds.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Civil/Structural Engineering or equivalent mechanical/electrical training from an ABET accredited engineering curriculum is required.
Five (5) years of progressively responsible engineering design is required in addition to the educational requirement. Experience must include demonstrated proficiency in the development of specifications, detailed economic studies and evaluations, and the analysis of complex engineering problems related to substation design, construction and operation. Knowledge of substation engineering and construction methods and applications is beneficial. Licensure/registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) is beneficial.
* Structural and electrical engineering principles
* Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCad, databases and engineering analysis/design software
* Electric utility substation maintenance, engineering, analysis and design
* Development of technical documents, permits, specifications, drawings and design
* Project/construction management
* Agency interactions, including FPSC, RUS and NERC
* Communication skills - verbal and written
* Problem Solving
* Technical/Professional Knowledge
* Attention to detail