About The Position
The Supervisor, Applications Development directs a team of developers involved in the analysis, design, development and implementation of software applications. Position is a first-level supervisory role and has direct responsibility for people leadership, including career development, performance management, pay determination and communication.
Key responsibilities include:
• Supervise, direct, train, and evaluate personnel responsible for designing, programming, testing, implementing, and maintaining new and existing computer applications in a cost-effective manner.
• Work with user departments in the evaluation, selection, development, implementation, and support of computer applications. Prepare cost and benefit analyses of projects, prioritize projects, and manage and control the progress of computer applications development to assure that quality systems are delivered on time, within budget, and in compliance with company policies and practices.
• Lead application design, plan projects, establish priorities and monitor progress. Evaluate project status and resource utilization and implement changes to improve the team's effectiveness. May coordinate with other supervisors to integrate projects with other applications.
• Responsible for project management of all work in their area. Forecasts budget and plans future work.
• Represent the department in meetings.
• Keep abreast of developments in computer hardware and software. Participate in studies and recommendations regarding hardware or software.
• Ensures applications are developed in a way that complies with architectural standards and established methodologies and practices.
• Monitors and reports to management on project status and outstanding issues.
• Maintain a high degree of integrity to safeguard company position on confidential matters.
• Directs outside consultants/vendors in the development and implementation of applications to insure delivery on-time and within budget.
• Acts as a source of direction, training and guidance for less experienced staff.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, Engineering, or equivalent computer related degree from an accredited college or university required. Master’s level degree preferred. Ten or more years of relevant experience leading the design and implementation of business applications required. Previous supervisory or significant team and/or project leadership experience preferred. Strong project management, customer contact, and network topology skills required. Knowledge of electric and gas utility industry also preferred. Familiarity or working knowledge of programming languages, database management, development tools, platforms, and middleware.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
The ability to manage multiple priorities with a high incidence of changing requirements, analyze and clarify ambiguous requests/instructions, meet very aggressive deadlines and demanding work schedules, and manage large workloads. The Supervisor Applications Development works a standard day-shift in an office environment, but may also need to work off-hours for project needs, support/upgrade/outage reasons, and systems implementations. May also be required to carry an on-call pager or cell phone to provide the required system support (includes 24x7x365).
Ameren’s selection process includes a series of interviews and may include candidate testing and/or an individual aptitude or skill-based assessment. Specific details will be provided to qualified candidates