We are engineers, high line workers, power plant managers, accountants, electricians, project coordinators, risk analysts, customer service operators, community representatives, safety and security specialists, communicators, human resources partners, information technology technicians and much, much more. We are 3,300 people committed to enhancing the lives of the communities we serve. Together, we are powering the growth and success of our community progress every day!
The primary purpose of the Supervisor of Energy Technical Services is to lead, coach, and mentor a team of Advanced Metering & Technical Services technicians to ensure that the most advanced metering that is in use at CPS Energy’s most critical sites is consistently accurate, reliable, and safe. In addition, this position will ensure that the most feature-rich metering in use at CPS Energy will be applied creatively and skillfully to address significant electrical, control, and data output needs for both CPS Energy and our customers.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Attend and collaborate at various meetings (as necessary) to plan new metering installations (including for new super-larger-power (SLP) customers, ERCOT, solar, datacenter, and other high impact sites). Collaborate in order to implement the use of advanced features and functions of the ION meter in order to interface to a variety of control and data options with both internal and external customers.
- Ensure that all services are carried out safely, and in the most cost effective manner. Conduct Driver Observations and Behavior Based Safety Observations. Ensure familiarity with all Safety Guidelines.
- Ensure proper training of all personnel prior to them engaging in work. Regularly evaluate and coach as needed.
- Ensure that all necessary documentation is timely, accurate, and complete – including coordinating with ERCOT, engineers, and other contacts as needed to ensure proper submittal of metering documentation. Key Contacts: ERCOT, NERC Compliance, Engineering, Load Forecasting, Billing, External Utilities, MV90 Team, Power Plant Control Room, System Operators, SCADA, ESMO, etc.
- Manage the maintenance, upgrade, security, accuracy, and stability of the ION Metering PME Software System.
- Stay abreast of (and communicate) the latest processes and technology in regards to metering and business operations to include actively participating in relevant organizations (such as SWEMA, SWESE, We-Meet Round Table, EEI/AEIC, Distribu-Tech, etc.) to ensure the best in training and application of technology
- Demonstrate continuous innovation for metering processes and technology to ensure a best in class operation.
- Monitor and adhere to related budgets.
- Review and sign off on all certifications and acceptance-type documentation, and at least 10% of routine test documents.
- Regularly originate, present for discussion, and implement process improvements that would promote the best in customer satisfaction, quality of work, and reliability, and would also support the “People First” objectives.
Personal Computer Usage
Minimum Knowledge and Abilities
- Experienced in the installation, calibration, and troubleshooting of power transducers and/or metering.
- Experienced in the development of procedures and training material, and in the actual training of multiple personnel
- Experienced in functioning as lead over a project that involves coordinating with multiple personnel.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to carry out assignments in both office and challenging field environments, as needed.
- Demonstrated ability and availability to travel out-of-town
- Dedicated and flexible with work time as needed to meet the business needs of work area.
- Advanced skills in using general business and application-specific software
- Demonstrates an excellent understanding of electricity and of metering or measurements
- Demonstrates an excellent understanding of watts, vars, volts, amperes, power factor, impedance, etc.
- Ability to lead a diverse team of staff. This leadership experience may be through formal supervisory experience or informally, such as directing the work of a junior colleague, or through significant peer leadership experience.
- Ability to adapt to the changing environment while motivating and meeting business challenges
- Ability to lead, coach, and mentor personnel in Supply Chain logistics, maintenance, safety, and customer service excellence.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with a history of a safe driving record in accordance with CPSE policies, procedures, safety standards, and applicable laws and regulations
- An AAS or HIGHER Degree (specifically in Industrial Electronics, Instrument & Control Technology, Electrical Systems, or Electromechanical Technology) from an accredited institution, primarily from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Knowledgeable in advanced metering, including ERCOT, Super Large Power –rate customers, power plant, substation, and power quality metering.
- Knowledgeable in ERCOT Protocols, and NERC Compliance.
- Certified as an ERCOT EPS Meter Inspector.
- Knowledgeable in utility Electric Service Standards and Meter Wiring Standards.
- Experience in preparing budgets and meeting budget targets.
- Directly and fully responsible for the appraisal and compensation of at least two technical workers.
- Previous supervisory and/or leadership experience.
- Communicating Effectively
- Developing Plans
- Establishing Relationships
- Coordinating Project Activities
- Interacting with People at Different Levels
- Adapting to Others
- Associate's Degree in Applied Science in Electronics or Or Related Field
- Work is performed indoors & outdoors. Manual dexterity, talking, hearing, and repetitive motion. Use of computing equipment, telephone, & printer/copier. Ability to travel to and from business related events. After hours work may be required.
- Work is performed outdoors with possible exposure to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is exposed to a variety of extreme weather conditions at job sites. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
CPS Energy does not discriminate against applicants or employees. CPS Energy is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfers and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information or any other protected status. CPS Energy will comply with all laws and regulations.
Nearest Major Market: San Antonio
Job Segment: Electrical, Engineer, Power Plant Operator, Logistics, Energy, Engineering, Operations
EEO/AA Employer of Disabled/Veterans
CPS Energy does not discriminate against applicants or employees. CPS Energy is committed to providing equal opportunity in all of its employment practices, including selection, hiring, promotion, transfers and compensation, to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information or any other protected status. CPS Energy will comply with all laws and regulations. CPS Energy is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to HRRecruiting@cpsenergy.com to let us know the nature of your request.