Brief Posting Description
This position is in the Civil Engineering group within Transmission Engineering and Construction. The position is responsible for project surveying, mapping, and photogrammetric activities in accordance with schedules and budgets, and for assisting in construction management/administrative activities. Includes acting as liaison between contract surveyors and internal departments and supervising field surveys and computer mapping. Determines surveying, mapping, and photogrammetric requirements for capital projects.
Note: There is one (1) position available and the position will be staffed at one of two levels: Surveyor (job grade NB19) or Senior Surveyor (job grade NB21). This decision will be based on the qualifications and experience level of the selected candidate and Tri-State business needs at the time of hire.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as liaison between contract surveyors and internal departments.
- Supervise field surveys and computer mapping. Responsible for engineering, legal, and construction surveys and maps for electric transmission facilities.
- Determine surveying, mapping, and photogrammetric requirements for capital projects.
- Maintain list of qualified surveying contractors and review surveying contractors for potential addition to qualified bidders list.
- Develop and maintain standard scope of work, bid item list, and bid selection criteria.
- Enter contract requisitions utilizing program and process defined by Procurement and be point of contact with Procurement staff.
- Review bids and participate in contractor selection based on bid defined criteria.
- Working with the Land and Legal departments, coordinate schedule of survey contractors to meet project goals.
- Review contract invoices to insure contract compliance, accurate billing, and timely payment.
- Review survey contractor work product and approve submission of invoices, narrative legal descriptions, graphic exhibits, Geographic Information System (GIS) polygons, field staking, and other deliverables.
- Schedule and coordinate field activities and prepare and deliver work product relating to surveying, including support of environmental process and right-of-way acquisitions.
- Prepare contract documents including specifications, scopes of work, deliverables, bid items list, bid selection criteria and sole source justification for contracted survey services. Make recommendations for outside consultants for surveying, mapping, and photogrammetric services.
- Develop and maintain survey and inspection files.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of manpower requirements, budgets and schedules, and cost and time estimates for surveying/mapping portion of capital project budgets.
- Participate as project team member in the route and site selection process.
- Develop new survey technologies, quality assurance and control standards.
- Assist in development of weekly/monthly project status reports, final contract unit inventory and materials closeout, Rural Electric Association (REA) closeout documentation, record retirement units, and other reports as required.
- Participate in constructability reviews of design, specifications and drawings.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan within timelines and resources; develop scopes, plan and schedule work; set priorities and goals; anticipate and adjust for problems; evaluate workloads; measure and evaluate performance against established goals.
- Time management: ability to successfully plan and implement objectives within established timelines and work schedules.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop effective solutions at both strategic and functional levels.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
- Computer proficiency in operating a personal computer and standard business office applications including.
- AutoCAD Civil 3D, Microsoft Office suite, databases, and other related applications.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal direction as a highly motivated self-starter.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Surveying, Geodetic Science, Construction Management, Engineering, or related field or an equivalent combination of experience and/or education.
- Registered land surveyor in one of the service area states, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico or Nebraska; registration in all four states desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Working knowledge of computer programs used for computer aided mapping and knowledge of map quality standards used by electric utility industry.
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state and local regulations regarding surveying and construction requirements for electric utility projects.
- Extensive knowledge of photogrammetric mapping, equipment and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of state plane and geodetic coordinate systems.
- In-depth knowledge of design and construction requirements of utility-related projects; expertise in reading and interpreting specifications and drawings.
- Working knowledge of construction/survey contract administration.
- Working knowledge of construction/survey technology, budgeting, estimating and scheduling.
- General knowledge of safety policies and procedures.
- Ability to organize and supervise work, and to plan and organize several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The Senior Surveyor (NB21) requires a minimum of eight (8) years of progressive experience which combines surveying and/or photogrammetry of transmission lines, substations, and other route related projects, and computer aided mapping.
- The Surveyor (NB19) requires a minimum of four (4) years of progressive experience which combines surveying and/or photogrammetry of transmission lines, substations, and other route related projects, and computer aided mapping.
- Willingness to travel more than 50 percent of the time on an annual basis. (Must possess a valid driver's license.)
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to sit for long periods of time and occasionally stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level up to 10 lbs. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear. Incumbent must have finger dexterity, good vision, good color vision, good hearing, and ability to speak clearly, and handle intricate work.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to dust works around large industrial operating equipment for extended periods of time. Exposed to office environment when working in the office. Exposed to varying weather and road conditions while traveling.
All employees interested in this position may apply online at the Tri-State Intranet site.
Click on Job Postings, then click on the iRecruitment link, Log In, then click on the iRecruitment Employee Candidate link and then click on Search for jobs.
Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association is a wholesale electric power supplier owned by the 43 electric cooperatives that it serves. Tri-State generates and transmits electricity to its member systems throughout a 200,000 square-mile service territory across Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Serving approximately 1.5 million consumers, Tri-State was founded in 1952 by its member systems to provide a reliable, cost-based supply of electricity. Headquartered in Westminster, Colo., about 1,500 people are employed by Tri-State throughout its four-state service area.
Tri-State's power is generated through a combination of owned baseload and peaking power plants that use coal and natural gas as their primary fuels, supplemented by purchased power, federal hydroelectricity allocations and renewable resource technologies. Tri-State delivers power to its members through a transmission system that includes substation facilities, telecommunications sites and over 5000 miles of high voltage transmission lines.
Interested? Here is how to Apply:
Go to www.tristategt.org/ and click on the 'Careers' Link. Search for Job and click 'Apply Now' Icon. You will be required to register in order to apply.
Tri-State: Join the people behind the power. Tri-State recognizes the value of a highly-engaged and committed workforce and provides an excellent benefits program that includes medical, dental, retirement and life insurance. Please visit our careers site at www.tristategt.org/careers/for more details.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran