The System Operations and Planning Engineer is responsible for supporting transmission planning and operations engineering functions. The individual in the position performs reliability assessments for real time, near term and long-term planning and works closely with the Reliability Coordinator(s) and neighboring Transmission Operators (TOPs). This position reports to the System Engineering Manager and collaborates closely with multiple engineering and operations team members.
• Prepares WECC base cases
• Performs powerflow studies
• Performs real time and next day studies as needed
• Develops processes to use real-time models in most near-term studies
• Provides training and support to the PSO-Transmission operators in the use of tools and mitigation of system events in real-time
• Performs operating assessments both near and long-term
• Evaluates transmission system operating concerns and proposes corrective action
• Assists in maintaining NERC and WECC compliance reporting and documentation
• Assists in performing system interconnection request studies
• Participates in Colorado Coordinated Planning Group/Foothills planning and operations groups
• Maintains Real Time Contingency Analysis (RTCA) tool requiring real-time model development, testing, maintenance, and validation
• Represents Platte River on various organized groups or entities
• Develops written reports and analysis
• Collaborates closely with internal team members to seek guidance and input regarding activities
• Maintains regular and reliable attendance
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from an accredited four-year college
• Three or more years of experience in supporting engineering power systems operations and electrical transmission systems
• Understanding of PSS/E power system analysis software
• Understanding of protection systems, operation procedures, load shedding, generators
• Background in applicable NERC/WECC Reliability Standards
• Ability to successfully complete Platte River critical infrastructure protection (CIP) and other mandatory training required to maintain security clearance and other status
• Ability to collaborate with and desire to seek input from internal team members; skilled in seeking and valuing diverse opinions and ideas
• Ability to multi-task, shifting focus to emerging priorities as needed
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form
• Current valid driver's license and ability to remain insurable under Platte River's vehicle liability policy
• Engineer-In-Training (EIT) Certification
This position will remain open until filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Platte River endeavors to make our careers site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please call us at 970-229-5323.