UPPCO seeks a self-motivated System Operator to join our team in Ishpeming, Michigan. This is a development position requiring continuous learning and reports to the Manager-System Operations Center. This position typically works an 8-hour, day-shift or afternoon-shift schedule and requires responding to call-ins as requested, working additional hours when workload requires additional staffing and to be available to work evenings, holidays and weekends as needed. Upon completion of training, this position may upgrade to a System Operation Supervisor.
COMPENSATION/BENEFITS. Competitive salary, based on your knowledge and experience, along with a comprehensive benefit package. Relocation assistance available.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SYSTEM OPERATOR. Job duties are performed under the direct supervision of System Operations Supervisor(s) and will assist with the following duties in conjunction with a skills development matrix: System & Generation Operations:
- Oversee real-time remote operations of UPPCO’s Substation, Distribution & Generation facilities.
- Assess of system conditions to determine appropriate actions to take.
- Work w/Supervisors in the oversight of UPPCO electric systems to ensure safety, reliability & efficiency.
- Interpret System Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) data and other system information to analyze events/system conditions to formulate appropriate actions during system emergencies.
- Assess conditions and communicate with/direct field crews during equipment restoration actions.
- Develop, plan, and write switching procedures for the company's response to unplanned work and system emergencies in concurrence with operations and engineering personnel.
- Work w/Supervisors to direct field personnel for switching and protective carding on UPPCO facilities.
- Aid in maintaining documentation of planned and emergency switching procedures.
- Coordinate planned outages w/American Transmission Co. (ATC) that affect UPPCO electric system assets.
- Assist, in collaboration with ATC, to ensure operating guides are valid and can be enacted as written.
- Direct company personnel in following operating policies/procedures to comply with federal/state regulators and national/regional reliability authorities and other agencies.
- Coordinate regularly w/UPPCO electric system operations, management & engineering regarding reliability standards development/compliance, FERC Standards & emergency operating procedures.
- Respond to Operating ATC or MISO Instructions; communicate/direct field personnel to take action.
- Direct local operators at generation facilities to ensure appropriate generation response to meet NERC Standards: manual re-dispatch instructions including unit starts for reducing congestion and/or reducing load shedding risks.
- Respond to activities associated with deployment of generation resources as requested by the MISO Balancing Authority or ATC.
- Comply with/adhere to utility industry, NERC, MISO, MPSC and FERC standards & operating protocols.
- Assist with responses to corporate security events; complete reports as required.
System Operator Functions:
- Provide emergency & non-emergency dispatch of electric trouble events to field responders.
- Responsible for after-hours customer call answering and UPPCO field crew dispatch.
- Efficient incoming/outgoing/dispatch communications with site employees by radio, computer, phone; call technical personnel for special problems; provide clear, professional communications over radio/phone; update Public Affairs, local supervision, Account Executives of trouble situations.
- Work with UPPCO call center personnel in handling emergency/customer outage communications.
- Manage trouble events and record field responder activities using Outage Management System to organize/prioritize/manage trouble events; ping meters to determine if customer has electricity at meter; update estimated repair times.
- Collect closure information for electric & gas events; pass on follow-up information to local sites.
- Monitor weather reports from multiple sources; implement storm procedures by calling in additional personnel; advise supervision of high volume; send weather alerts over radio system; 24X7 real-time security monitoring of hydro/generation facilities via camera system.
- Dispatch and request emergency locates.
- Monitor e-mail, printer, phones, fax machine, computer, telecom/radio system and site camera/video for reporting, malfunctions and dispatch.
- Assist with company security procedures (threat reporting, site access).
- Records messages pertaining to specific power outages.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS AN UPPCO SYSTEM OPERATOR.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Technology or similarly named discipline, preferred.
- 2 years’ experience in electric utility system operations, field operations and/or switching procedures.
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience.
- Proficiency with computers including working knowledge of Word and Excel, required.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to respond to call-ins and work additional hours including evenings, holidays, weekends, as needed.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel overnight, occasionally and as required.
- Must reside within 30 minutes of Ishpeming System Operations Center jobsite.
ABOUT US. UPPCO is a regulated electric utility delivering safe, reliable energy to about 54,000 customers in 10 counties of Michigan's pristine Upper Peninsula. Our assets include 7 hydroelectric renewable energy generation facilities that also offer public recreational opportunities on land and water, 2 combustion turbines providing a total generation capacity of approximately 80 megawatts, 3,300 miles of electric distribution lines, and 58 distribution substations. Learn more at uppco.com.