Systems Operations Superintendent
Job Requisition Number
Electric Service Delivery (115)
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus to ten (10) years of related electric utility experience three (3) years of which were in a supervisory or management capacity
Licenses or Certifications:
Must have or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire NERC Transmission System Operations Certification or Transmission Reliability Coordinator Certification.
Notes to Applicants
The Systems Operation Superintendent will lead and manage the Systems Operations group (25 staff) at Austin Energy (AE). The Systems Operations group is a mission critical technology and operations arm of the Smart Grid and Systems Operations organization as it provides the foundational base and support for AE’s goal of evolving into a Smart Utility.
The operational management functions include:
WHEN COMPLETING THE CITY OF AUSTIN APPLICATION:
- Transmission and Distribution System Operations and Control
- System Restoration and Disaster Recovery
- AE Incident Command and Emergency Management
- Operational and Emergency Planning Processes (24/7 Power Delivery System)
- Grid Modernization initiative
- Compliance with Regulatory Requirements and AE policies and procedures
This position requires:
- NERC Transmission System Operations Certificate or Transmission Reliability Coordinator Certification
- On-call response to system disturbance issues and to support Incident Command
- Travel between Austin Energy offices, customer sites and the field sites
- Business travel to include overnight stays
- Work additional hours outside normal scheduled hours to support the 24-hour Utility operations which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, inclement weather and emergency closures
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates. Any gaps in employment must have an explanation and dates of unemployment. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history.
Resumes will not be accepted. Statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application. Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes.
The responses to the supplemental questions must reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
If you have any questions regarding your City of Austin employment application, please use the official website of the City of Austin as reference. www.austintexas.govVETERAN INTERVIEW PREFERENCE:
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 verifying honorable discharge, at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK:
The top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10 year criminal history background check.FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT:
This position is classified as EXEMPT
• This position requires the use of an ERCOT
Digital Certificate (EDC
) and, therefore, will require a Security Review to determine if the candidate meets all the requirements for issuance of the EDC
• If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
• This position is categorized as an Essential Personnel position, meaning Essential Personnel are required to work during emergencies and/or bad weather.
• This position requires on-call assignments
• This position works outside scheduled hours to ensure consistent coverage, attends training, meetings and other activities as needed to meet utility and business unit needs.
Monday through Friday.
7 a.m. to 4 p.m. – 40 Hour Work Week
Additional work hours may be required to support the 24-hour Utility operations which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, inclement weather and emergency closures.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
- Management experience in transmission and/or distribution system operations and control, system restoration and operational planning processes.
- Management experience providing leadership, guidance and support to an electric utility team (assignment and monitoring of work for employees, provides technical guidance, hiring, recommendation of termination, disciplinary actions & conducting employee evaluations).
- Experience monitoring performance, managing conflict, taking corrective action, building teams and providing counseling.
- Experience supporting a utility incident command and/or emergency management organization.
- Experience in risk assessments, impact studies, ISO 9001 Quality Management System, reporting and compliance regulations (NERC/CIP standards and requirements).
- Experience developing and managing departmental budgets (Capital, O&M and Zero Based budgets).
- Experience defining the scope of projects and activities in the System Operation processes and ensuring goals and objectives are met.
- Ten years of experience working with electrical distribution system switchgears, equipment, operations and support.
- Five years of experience working on electrical distribution system protection relays, relay communications, relay settings and standards.
- Experience performing power quality, Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and Electromagnetic Field (EMF) analysis and audits and grounding analysis.
- Five years of experience working with electric meters.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Responsible for monitoring and operation in accordance with all regulatory and company policies, planning, outage analysis information system, operational transmission and distribution system planning, and emergency planning and coordination.
2. Manages and implements projects and activities in System Operation including: scheduling, resource planning and special projects.
3. Researches new technologies/process improvement and develops and implements policies and processes to improve reliability and customer service.
4. Acts as Incident Commander during system disturbances and other related emergencies and ensures proper response and appropriate level of resources are employed.
5. Implements system wide emergency response plan as needed.
6. Represents Austin Energy on the ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) Operations Working Group (OWG) and serves on various project teams and task forces.
7. Develops and monitors O&M budgets and respond to any deviations from the approved cost/time line projections. Authorize purchase of and payment for required equipment and services.
8. Write daily, weekly, and/or monthly reports and write technical descriptions of problems and solutions.
9. Coordinate division/section activities with other divisions/sections/outside contractors. Consults with engineers and manufacturers' representatives regarding design or procedural changes for improved efficiency and reliability.
10. Consult with engineers and manufacturers’ representatives regarding design or procedural changes for improved efficiency and reliability.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Austin Energy's power delivery system and all related policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Incident Command System of emergency management.
- Knowledge of ERCOT Operating Guides and Protocols.
- Knowledge of trouble call/outage analysis system and SCADA.
- Knowledge of emergency management techniques and outage restoration process.
- Knowledge of utility financial, regulatory and managerial accounting practices.
- Knowledge of engineering terminology, symbols, calculations and drawings.
- Knowledge of NERC (National Standards Electric Reliability Corp.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Skill in working under the pressure of rigid and/or short work cycle.
- Skill in reading instruments, charts, and schematic drawings.
- Skill in developing and implementing short and/or long range plans.
- Skill in operating precision measurement and calibration equipment.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.