Requisition ID: 31405
Our reliability is one of the best in the nation, and we’re working to make it even better. We live here too. That’s why we’re committed to making Florida a better place. Join our team today Learn more
Position Specific Description
NextEra Energy Inc. and Florida Pwer and Light are seeking a Tax Professional to become a member of our savvy State Tax Planning team. Our in-house tax department is a fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative environment. This role knows all things indirect tax; real/personal property, sales/use, and excise and transaction taxes and will drive value by the following actions:
- Provide indirect tax planning support to internal tax professionals with respect to greenfield and acquisition projects.
- Advise on indirect tax planning matters on transactions, research and recommend mitigation techniques, implement savings opportunities, and recommend improvement strategies while considering both tax technical and business aspects of the transaction.
- Support the acquisition and divestiture processes by assisting with indirect tax due diligence for acquisition targets including integration functions, and transition support associated with divestitures, including identification and remediation of indirect tax exposures and assisting with integration requirements.
- Serve as the single point of indirect tax accountability and be able to identify indirect tax planning matters to be addressed.
- Draft and/or review tax provisions in deal documents and prepare technical tax memoranda. Support the development of team members.
- Exhibit sound business judgment in a fast-paced work environment with ability to manage and prioritize various responsibilities and deliverables.
- Effectively communicate complex technical indirect tax planning issues to management and internal stakeholders, including the broader finance business unit.
Preferred Experience / Skills:
- 5+ years of multistate property tax experience with a public accounting firm or large company.
- In addition to the above property tax experience, 3+ years of experience with sales/use, excise or other transaction taxes is preferred but not required.
- Ability and interest in learning sales/use, excise and transaction taxes.
- Strong real and personal property tax research and technical skills.
- Excellent data management and modeling skills and ability to analyze complex fact patterns, transactions, and structures.
- Proficient with online tax research tools such as Checkpoint or BNA.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to coordinate effectively with various subject matter specialists and proactively support internal customer relationships.
- Ability to create and optimize process for managing indirect tax support to business.
- Indirect tax experience in the energy industry.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), CPA (U.S.), Master’s in Tax, or CMI designation
- Member in Good Standing of a State Bar (U.S.) or CPA (U.S.)
Employees in this position are responsible for one or more of the following: tax research, planning, compliance, forecasting, analysis, and defense of tax positions.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages tax related projects, including system maintenance and/or development
- Prepares and/or reviews tax returns and corresponding tax work papers and files
- Researches law, regulations, administrative rulings and court cases and presents proposals to lawfully minimize tax liability
- Researches and drafts responses to inquiries from government agencies regarding tax filings, compliance, and other claims
- Provides and/or verifies tax assumptions and tax results in project models
- Leads project teams to improve quality, efficiency, predictability and/or transparency
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience: 7+ years
- Master's - Accounting / Finance
- LLM - Master of Laws
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Business Analytics
Organization: Florida Power & Light Company
Location: Juno Beach, Florida
Other Work Locations: Florida
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to AskHR@NEE.com, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our policy for more information.