Local Unit & Position Description
Are you a tracker and racking expert? Do you like to tackle hard problems? Would you like to influence the solar industry and have the opportunity to grow and showcase yourself as a global thought leader? Come join our team and be part of the world’s leading renewable technical advisory and get to work with some of the nicest, smartest, and hardest-working experts in the industry!
DNV GL – Energy’s Renewable Advisory group is seeking a Tracker & Mounting System Technology Engineer to join our North American Solar Technology Team to focus on solar trackers and mounting systems.
As a member of the Solar Technology team, the successful candidate will provide technical advisory and other consulting services associated with mounting systems used in solar projects. The work will include due diligence of solar PV trackers and mounting systems for use in pre-construction, construction and operational projects, on behalf of lenders and investors/acquirers. The role will also include working with product manufacturers to opine on product design and expected reliability.
Tasks May Include
- Provide technical expertise concerning the design, manufacturing, testing and/or modeling of solar PV trackers
- Assess product design and manufacturing methods including aspects of structural adequacy, wind loading, drive systems and control systems
- Review manufacturing facilities for compliance with quality/safety procedures and practices
- Provide written technical advice to clients including:
- Commenting on design and reliability aspects of solar PV trackers and mounting systems
- Reviewing and commenting on engineering documentation relating to:
- Materials specifications and impact on expected performance and reliability
- Compatibility with PV modules
- Structural, civil and mechanical details
- Wind loading, including static and dynamic response
- Wind tunnel testing
- Reliability testing
- Regulatory compliance (UL 2703/3703, IEC 62817, AHJ approvals etc.)
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
- Operation and maintenance documents
- Installation requirements and procedures
- Quality control processes used for equipment specification, inspection and assembly
- Produce detailed reports which review the anticipated reliability of solar PV trackers and racking systems (e.g. "bankability reports")
- Make recommendations for product improvements and/or suggestions for how to mitigate risk
- Travel to engineering/manufacturing facilities to review product design and manufacture
- Travel to field sites to review installation, operation and maintenance
- Liaise with DNV GL teams including Independent Engineering, Energy, Civil, Electrical Engineering
- Engage directly with equipment manufacturers, project sponsors and lenders as a matter of course through telephone calls, conferences and meetings
- Peer review the work of others
- Participate in internal R&D projects to suggest and/or develop new DNV GL services
- Manage 5-10 projects concurrently at various stages
- Manage client relationships to develop new business opportunities and promote complementary services from other parts of DNV GL
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Structural, or Civil Engineering, Physics, or Materials Science with a focus in Renewable Energy required
- A graduate degree is preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of engineering experience in a related field with at least 6 years of experience in the design, testing and/or modelling of solar PV trackers and mounting systems
- Experience designing or evaluating products for compliance with UL 1703, UL 2703, UL 3703, IEC 62817, SEAOC PV-2, ASCE 7
- Experience reviewing wind tunnel test reports, static and dynamic load calculations and application of dynamic amplification factors
- Knowledgeable of typical equipment technical specifications and common failure modes of roof and ground-mounted, fixed and tracking PV mounting systems, such as PV integration, corrosion and UV resistance, roofing or geotechnical compatibility, wind and seismic loads.
- Experience managing multidisciplinary teams as a lead product engineer, product owner or product manager
- Experience preparing proposals or scopes of work for technical services
- General familiarity with
- simulation tools/libraries such as PVsyst, SAM, PVLib
- general PV system design and factors that impact the safety and performance of residential, commercial and utility-scale PV systems
- technical risk factors of interest to investors, lenders, developers and PV owner/operators
- tracking system algorithms including backtracking and optimized tracking and typical energy modeling approaches
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20% of the time, domestically and internationally
- Must be able to carry 40 pounds of equipment for short durations
- Must be able to climb a ladder onto a rooftop to inspect a solar installation
- Must have a current US driver’s license
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Strong written and verbal English language skills
- Ability to communicate technical topics to a non-technical audience
- We conduct pre-employment background and drug screening
- Experience modeling PV systems in PVsyst
- Familiarity with R, python or other programming languages
- Familiarity with uncertainty, probability and statistics
- Experience reviewing EPC and O&M contracts
- Experience developing or implementing safety policies related to product design and testing
Experience as a reliability engineer, involved in designing or performing accelerated testing
As the primary deliverable for most client engagements is a technical report, the candidate is expected to have considerable experience writing technical papers, whether for internal or external consumption. The candidate will be expected to provide examples of technical writing.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business.
We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!