Brief Posting Description
Responsible to the Senior Manager Safety and Security for achieving functional area/corporate goals and objectives in a cost effective manner through effective planning, organizing, coordinating, implementing and controlling of Tri-State's Safety and Health (S&H) program and personnel in assigned area. Includes working collaboratively with stakeholders to oversee and manage the Transmission Safety and Health program and leading and maintaining an effective behavioral and cultural safety program.
This position has divisional level responsibilities for managing employees at multiple locations for electric utility transmission facilities.
The job grade for this position is NB24.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise, direct, mentor, train, and develop Transmission Safety Department personnel.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to oversee and manage the Transmission Safety and Health program.
- Work collaboratively with the Generation Safety Manager to ensure the implementation of consistent and complimentary S&H programs and procedures.
- Lead, maintain and grow behavioral and cultural safety programs.
- Manage and grow safety communication.
- Manage, organize, coordinate, interpret, and implement S&H programs, policies, and procedures to provide guidance on safety and health issues.
- Provide site safety and health support including on-site, hands-on support for sites and groups based on resource needs and/or project or issue specific demands for corporate level expertise.
- Participate in the planning, hazard analysis and solution development and installation of new equipment or process changes to control potential hazards.
- Review, participate and oversee the reporting and investigation of incidents, ensure robust corrective actions are identified and implemented and facilitate event learning.
- Ensure potential compliance and/or other actions are addressed, tracked and corrected where appropriate
- Actively monitor, assess and audit safety and health compliance and performance.
- Facilitate completion of annual site specific program evaluations.
- Collaborate with personnel on the development and recommendation of S&H plans, goals and objectives. Manage tracking systems associated with monitoring performance against site goals.
- Maintain, oversee and report S&H records to ensure adherence to corporate polices and/or regulatory requirements. Includes, but not limited to, OSHA 300 log, incident records, safety metrics, training, inspections, permits, etc.
- Provide regulatory guidance and ensure compliance systems are adequate to track and document compliance status.
- Assist with corporate safety and health training as needed.
- Assist with the development and implementation of corporate safety management systems, programs, procedures and compliance systems.
- Manage contacts and activities with regulatory agencies to resolve issues while maintaining a cooperative relationship with agency personnel.
- Develop, administer, and monitor Transmission S&H budgets and forecasts.
- Adhere to and demonstrate compliance with appropriate electric utility industry regulatory requirements. Attain knowledge and remain knowledgeable of development in regulations, laws, standards and best practices applicable to the functional area including, but not limited to, Standards of Conduct, Environmental, Employment Law, NERC Reliability Standards and Safety. Must be familiar with, and comply with, all aspects of Corporate Policy C-54, Compliance.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Because Tri-State has an obligation to provide continuous, reliable electric service to its customers, the ability to work overtime at any time of the day or week is considered an essential function of the job.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Leadership: ability to identify functional area business needs and establish goals and objectives and ensure alignment with enterprise goals.
- Planning: ability to think ahead and plan upcoming initiatives including prioritizing workload, developing schedules and meeting deadlines.
- Decision Making: ability to weigh options, consider alternatives and forecast outcomes and determine option which is best for the enterprise. Understand how to balance emotion with reason and make decisions that positively impact themselves, their employees, their customers and stakeholders, and their organizations. Ability to make decisions in difficult situations.
- Management/Supervision: ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and supervise work of assigned staff, including projects and daily activities.
- Time management: ability to prioritize and schedule projects and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with company values.
- Problem analysis and resolution at both strategic and functional levels
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong team player: accomplishes tasks by working with others and being a good team player. Recognizes how his/her decisions may impact others; seeks input from others.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Training:
Bachelor's degree in Industrial Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Safety and Occupational Health, or closely related field preferred. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience will be considered.
- Ten (10) years of progressive related experience in implementing and managing comprehensive industrial S&H programs.
- Five (5) years of experience in a supervisory capacity.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior transmission experience strongly preferred
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) desired
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Demonstrated supervisory experience including planning, organizing, directing and evaluating S&H staff activities and job performance across multiple locations.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with division management, staff and employees.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities needed to design, facilitate, and coordinate projects and teams.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships and resolve disputes.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of specifications and contracts preparation, negotiations and administration.
- Ability to conduct training of others in plant operation and maintenance practices, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of personal computing, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Projects and other related software applications.
- Working knowledge and understanding of applicable federal, state and consensus S&H laws, regulations, standards, and practices.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities in time management, meeting deadlines, ensuring the accuracy and quality of work, and demonstrated continuous productivity in work experience.
- Demonstrated business skills including effective written and verbal communication, budgeting, and problem solving.
- Must be able to demonstrate that he/she can perform all of the essential functions of the position.
- Willingness to travel as required. (Must have a valid driver's license.)
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to occasionally sit and stand, walk for the majority of the time, stoop, bend, reach above and below shoulder level and push/pull objects of varying weights, and lift up to 50 pounds. Incumbent is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, talk and hear.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is required to read, write, perform basic math, analyze data and reports, exercise judgment, develop plans, procedures and goals, and present information to others and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent may be exposed to dirt/dust, fumes, chemicals, electrical risks, confined areas and noise. Some duties are performed indoors and at a desk, operating office equipment.
All employees interested in this position may apply online at the Tri-State Intranet site.
Click on Job Postings, then click on the iRecruitment link, Log In, then click on the iRecruitment Employee Candidate link and then click on Search for jobs.
Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association is a wholesale electric power supplier owned by the 43 electric cooperatives that it serves. Tri-State generates and transmits electricity to its member systems throughout a 200,000 square-mile service territory across Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico and Wyoming.
Serving approximately 1.5 million consumers, Tri-State was founded in 1952 by its member systems to provide a reliable, cost-based supply of electricity. Headquartered in Westminster, Colo., nearly 1,200 people are employed by Tri-State throughout its four-state service area.
Tri-State's power is generated through a combination of owned baseload and peaking power plants that use coal and natural gas as their primary fuels, supplemented by purchased power, federal hydroelectricity allocations and renewable resource technologies. Tri-State delivers power to its members through a transmission system that includes substation facilities, telecommunications sites and over 5000 miles of high voltage transmission lines.
Interested? Here is how to Apply:
Go to www.tristategt.org/ and click on the 'Careers' Link. Search for Job and click 'Apply Now' Icon. You will be required to register in order to apply.
Tri-State: Join the people behind the power. Tri-State recognizes the value of a highly-engaged and committed workforce and provides an excellent benefits program that includes medical, dental, retirement and life insurance. Please visit our careers site at www.tristategt.org/careers/for more details.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran