Cross Texas Transmission, LLC (“CTT”) is a transmission‐only electric utility in the ERCOT region of Texas, regulated by the Public Utility Commission of Texas. CTT owns and operates 345kV transmission assets in the Panhandle region of Texas. CTT’s facilities include a field operations complex in Amarillo and critical control centers located in Austin. The Austin location also serves as CTT’s corporate headquarters for legal, IT/OT, planning, accounting and regulatory compliance. This position will be located in the Austin office.
This position monitors, operates, and controls the CTT transmission system through a central operations center. Work is performed on a rotating 12‐hour shift basis according to a DuPont schedule. The Transmission System Operator works in a modern control room environment and exercises authority over grid operations to ensure safe and reliable performance. The Operator responds to system conditions and performs activities according to policies and procedures in conformance with ERCOT, Texas RE, NERC, FERC and PUCT operating guidelines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Monitors, analyzes, and responds to electric system conditions by monitoring the flow of electricity through substations and over a network of transmission lines via SCADA.
- Control electric transmission facilities in a safe and reliable manner in compliance with FERC, NERC, Texas RE, and ERCOT procedures, rules, and standards. Provide work direction to field personnel and coordinate with neighboring entities during normal and abnormal system conditions for the safe removal and return to service of sections of CTT’s transmission system in accordance with approved operating and safety procedures.
- Monitor and control voltage levels and power flows on CTT’s transmission system to maintain reliability. Analyze system operating conditions, interpret system data, and take appropriate corrective actions as required.
- Assist with development and maintenance of CTT transmission operations and maintenance procedures, guides, and manuals.
- Implement and ensure adherence to safety standards during high‐voltage switching and maintenance operations.
- Direct and/or perform high‐voltage switching operations during normal and abnormal conditions.
- Manage and communicate transmission outages while minimizing the disruption of generation or interchange schedules and maintaining compliance with regulatory and safety requirements.
- Complies with applicable guidelines, protocols, record keeping and retention requirements and rules of ERCOT, Texas RE, NERC, FERC and PUCT.
- Assist regulatory compliance department with ERCOT, Texas RE, NERC FERC and PUCT periodic reporting requirements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Interpersonal Skills
- Must be self‐motivated, disciplined and possess effective skills necessary for the job as described.
- Required skills include excellent communication, organization, critical thinking and a strong knowledge of electrical utility system operations.
Job Knowledge and Experience
- A valid Driver's License and a good driving record.
- Minimum of two (2) years in transmission system operations or related field experience or knowledge received through formal education, training and/or experience operating a transmission system.
- Must be NERC System Operator certified with at least a Transmission Operator certificate. ERCOT
- Certification is preferred or be able to obtain within one year of employment.
- Position requires strong competencies in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint,
- SharePoint and Outlook).
Physical Tasks and Working Conditions
Performs work in the Transmission Operations Control Center and is subject to on‐call relief whenever required. Normally works a twelve hour rotating shift. Operates computer keyboard hourly, uses phone daily, completes reports daily and travels occasionally.