The Turbine Mechanic is responsible for maintaining plant equipment to ensure plant performance for efficient and safe plant operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for preventative maintenance activities, corrective maintenance, and capital improvements as directed. This role ensures that the plant is maintained at optimal level. The Arapahoe facility is a 122 MW 2 x 1 configuration, utilizing two (2) LM 6000 PC gas turbines and a Dresser Rand Steam Turbine. The combined cycle plant achieved commercial operation in October 2002. Additionally, this position will support Operation, Maintenance and testing at the Southwest Generation Valmont Facility, a simple cycle LM 6000 PC gas turbine power plant located in Boulder Colorado.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary job responsibility is performing Gas Turbine, Steam Turbine and Plant mechanical maintenance.
- Administers processes and procedures as required by the O&M Manager which includes:Required to complete the O&M Tech I qualification process. Qualification is required within 2 years of date of hire.
- Identify and implement On-condition tasks
- Evaluate recommended changes based on cost/benefit
- Keep all necessary records as prescribed by the maintenance management system.
- Work safely, following company and operator policies, procedures and work practices in a positive, cooperative, and productive manner.
- Computes and analyzes test data.
- Use installed and portable test equipment and technical manuals to troubleshoot equipment and systems.
- Coordinates job activities relating to job planning, work methods, job standards and job reporting for the work assigned.
- Perform both routine and non-routine preventative and corrective maintenance on plant equipment.
- Required to be “on call” while off shift to support emergency repair or monitoring as necessary.
- Assist other plant personnel as needed.
- Maintenance and upkeep of site buildings and grounds.
- Maintain and repair plant mechanical devices.
- Prepares, maintains and provides a variety of reports/documents as required or upon request.
- Reviews P&I Drawings and mechanical diagrams.
- Communicates condition of plant systems, equipment and pertinent information to others.
- Directs and performs work in accordance with policies and procedures as established by the company and regulatory agencies
- Monitor and perform required periodic preventive maintenance and GE service bulletin updates and reports.
- Complete detailed planning, product specification and time estimates for mechanical repairs and installations.
- Creates procedures related to mechanical systems.
- Required to learn all power plant systems and stay abreast of system updates.
- Operate all plant mobile equipment, forklift, man lift, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills and possess the ability to learn.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with an advanced understanding of chemistry, physics, electricity and mathematics.
- Ability to follow both verbal and written instructions
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to demonstrate basic computer knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point and various other programs.
- Must be able to interact and communicate well with individuals in all areas of the company and outside vendors.
- Working knowledge of combined cycle power plant system, power plant operations, and maintenance, mechanical principles, work practices, procedures and materials.
- Ability to make maintenance related decisions with minimum direct supervision.
- Pipe fitter, millwright, welding and carpentry skills desired.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma, degree from a technical/vocational school, related military service or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 3 years of power plant and/or gas/steam turbine experience is required.
Must be able to accomplish physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Employee will be required to adhere to large amounts of standing, walking, bending, squatting, and lifting. May be required to lift, carry, and move up to 50 lbs. Will use arms and hands to signal, grab, hold, turn, push, and pull: objects, materials, controls and tools. Will occasionally work at heights, climb ladders, stairways, and work off of platforms. Will use vision abilities to focus, see short and long distances, colors, depth perception and peripheral vision. Will be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and steel-toe boots.
- Able to hear (at some dB limit of loss) in order to hear plant alarms, equipment condition, and to receive oral instructions.
- Able to see to determine plant operating conditions and to avoid safety hazards.
- Work is generally performed inside the power plant, but may work in all weather conditions ranging from warm/hot - cool/cold. Occasional rain. Noise levels will be moderate to high. Job site will contain light to heavy equipment vehicles, small to large equipment, materials, communication equipment and tools. People standing, walking, sitting, signaling and talking. Bells, whistles and alarms.
Southwest Generation is an Affirmative Action Employer, Females/Minority/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.