The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Application Manager in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT), in support of the Customer Information System (CIS), which is built on Oracle Utilities Customer Care and Billing (CCB), Meter Data Management (MDM), Smart Grid Gateway (SGG) and other supporting applications.
Position Overview & Description:
The City of Seattle successfully went live with Oracle CCB and MDM in the fall of 2016. The system and accompanying processes are stabilizing and maturing. We are looking for a seasoned expert who will guide, manage, and shape these systems and people toward reliable outcomes. This role will harmonize the engagement between the city utility departments that use the system (primarily Seattle City Light and Seattle Public Utilities) and the IT teams that support the systems applications and infrastructure. This role will plan long term system goals, and then realize those goals by orchestrating near term objectives. This role will maximize the efficiencies of a blended group of contractors, vendor service providers, and existing support staff. Candidates must have strong leadership skills to be part of the cross-functional team that ensures the city delivers a reliable and trustworthy billing system to its public constituents.
This role will partner closely with CIS Application Manager, technology teams and business units to drive the engineering and delivery of advanced IT solutions. Successful candidates will have a technical background, be detail driven, and have excellent problem solving and communication skills. You should not only be passionate about delivering leading-edge IT solutions, but should also be obsessed with contributing to the development of high-performing teams.
In this role, you will be provided the opportunity to establish best in class applications development and support processes that set the bar for the organization to follow. The right candidate will possess a strong applications development background, will have demonstrated experience leading technical project teams, and be passionate about developing others.
- Manage application lifecycle activities for the utilities CIS, which includes the following applications:CCB, MDM/SGG, Autosys, VisionContent Reports, Doc1.
- Manage Releases and operating environments, coordinate, and adhere to quality standards for multiple projects and O&M activities
- Collaborate with multiple technology teams and plan infrastructure activities including database, middleware, OS and application patches/upgrades.
- Manage Batch Processes and integrations with city systems and external 3rd party systems.
- Supervise internal and vendor staff as assigned.
- Liaise with CIS Application Manager, functional leads and business partners to align system goals and strategy.
- Develop and implement application maintenance methodologies and processes to improve quality and increase team effectiveness
- Manage technical activities to meet expected service levels.
- Coordinate solutions to meet risk, compliance, information security, and privacy requirements.
- Collaborate with the project management office to initiate and execute projects related to the utilities CIS.
- Maximize system performance through the coaching and training technical staff, and contribute to the hiring and retaining the best possible team.
- Collaborate with other system leads and managers in change management activities.
- Own and manage major system incidents and events.
- Be an IT leader in the continuous improvement of citywide IT processes
- This position will report to the CIS Application Manager and is expected to manage systems that operate 24 x 7.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or a closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 3+ years' experience in:
- Proven leadership and advancement in IT Applications Management.
- Engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives.
- Supervising employees and/or IT Project Management experience.
- With complex business systems and/or enterprise applications.
- Application development experience including planning, design and implementation.
- Demonstrated strong vendor management skills.
- Proven leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detailed knowledge of project management and application development and support methodologies.
- 3+ years of CIS/Billing System experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with Utility Customer Care & Billing(CCB), Meter data Management (MDM), Online Bill Payment (Kubra), Smart Grid Gateway (SGG).
- Knowledge of Real-time interfaces of the Billing system with various internal and external 3rd party systems – Outage Management System, Work & Asset Management System, GIS etc.
- Experience with Smart Grid / Smart Meter solutions
- Experience with managed services contracts and Service Level Agreements.
- Electrical and water utility experience.
- Government/public sector experience.
- Strong IT process improvement skills
- Technical understanding of IT Infrastructure including but not limited to Oracle Real Application Clusters, Oracle Middleware, Oracle SOA/OSB, Oracle Identity and Access Management, Load Balancers etc.
- Experience of successful relationship management at all governance levels and with major vendors, business and staff.
- Experience with preparing, evaluating RFPs and negotiating vendor contracts.
NOTE: Submit cover letter & resume along with NeoGov application.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17.