Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a related field, plus three (3) years experience providing customer service for a utility or other commercial/government organization.
Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
This position is categorized as Essential Personnel which requires reporting to work during emergency and/or bad weather closures.
Customer Service related experience includes utility customer service, account/finance, banking, branch, payment channels, remittance processing, credit and collections.
Utility experience includes electric, water, gas, or any municipality utility billing.
The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered. Please be sure that your application is a reflection of your entire work history. Describe your specific experience for each position. Include all job duties, responsibilities, and employment dates. Any gaps in employment must have an explanation and dates of unemployment.
Resumes will not be used to qualify for the requisition. Statements such as “see resume” will not be accepted. You may use “N/A” for fields that are not applicable. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application.
The responses to the supplemental questions should reference the employment history listed in the employment history section. Once the requisition has closed, the application cannot be changed to update work history, supplemental questions, or any other information.
We reserve the right to verify high school and college education for the top candidate(s).
If you have any questions regarding your City of Austin employment application, please use the official website of the City of Austin as reference. www.austintexas.gov
Candidates selected for interview(s) may be required to complete an assessment approved by Municipal Civil Service process, Rule 4.
Written and/or field assessments, may be administered before, during and/or after the hiring process.
GOOD STANDING COA EMPLOYEES:
Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within the department/division that the position resides in and who meet the minimum and preferred qualifications (if any) of the position will be included in the initial interview. Department/division employee must remain in Good Standing through the Top Candidate Selection phase at which time the Good Standing status will be re-verified.
VETERAN INTERVIEW PREFERENCE:
Military/Veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 verifying honorable discharge, at the time of initial interview to receive military/veteran interview preference.
This position is categorized as Essential Personnel. Essential personnel is required to come to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and in some cases when they are not scheduled.
Shift may change according to departmental needs.
Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
Additional hours may be required to work outside of normal schedule.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK:
The top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10 year criminal history background check and security threat assessment.
CLOSING OF REQUISITION:
Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
$20.32 – $25.79
Monday through Friday
7:00am – 4:00pm Other hours and days may be required as business needs dictate.Job Close Date
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Reviews utility usage, determines average consumption, verifies rates, investigates potential overcharges and adjusts customer accounts.
2. Initiates and processes billing adjustments and account corrections in accordance with established procedures. May place accounts on hold, assess late fees and charges, refers customers to other organizations.
3. Reviews and recommends requirements for subdivision development, re-subdivision and water and wastewater service extensions.
4. Evaluates site/lot plans, criteria, etc. for variety of projects, programs, and activities.
5. Assists with all assigned utility projects from initiation to completion. Maintains, safeguards, and provides original documents of record.
6. Assists with preparing presentations for successful arguments that represent the utility in hearings, investigations, examinations or other arenas where disputes are addressed.
7. Assists with developing, revising, and implementing procedures and processes to facilitate the provision of services to customers. Supports the department in the development, maintenance, growth and customer satisfaction.
8. Recruits customers and serves as a point of contact for utility programs
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of the applicable principles, laws, rules, regulations and practices of utility service operations.
Knowledge of city practice, policy, and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with city employees and the public.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.