Advanced Energy is an industry expert providing independent engineering services for utility scale solar photovoltaic (PV) facilities. We are seeking an individual to join our technical team who conduct interconnection commissioning for solar PV facilities primarily across North Carolina and South Carolina. The team is passionate about quality and ensuring the safety and reliability of distributed energy resources that are connected to the utility grid.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with design, construction, and commissioning of large scale solar PV facilities and utility distribution systems. Exposure to and understanding of the National Electrical Code and utility medium voltage distribution construction is preferred.
- Perform field evaluations of utility scale solar PV facilities to assess aspects of the quality of design, construction, and operation
- Conduct interconnection inspections, where knowledge of utility distribution construction standards and relevant national codes and standards is critical
- Conduct commissioning tests (cease to energize testing) at solar PV facilities
- Work with engineers to troubleshoot root cause of problems in the field
- Work with engineers to review design documentation of utility scale solar PV facilities, particularly the equipment for interconnection to the utility
- Assist in performing engineering analysis on documentation and field testing, and present concise results to customers
- Prepare reports and documentation delineating observations, results, and recommendations for further action
- The team spends part of their time in the Raleigh office and part of their time visiting utility scale solar PV facilities. Daytime travel typically 1-3 days a week, overnight travel only sometimes necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university preferred. Other technical degrees may be considered.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of technical work experience in solar PV, renewable energy, distributed energy generation or related field
- Experience writing technical reports required
Preferred to have:
- Experience with the electric utility industry and standard protection equipment for distribution interconnected generation
- Experience working with medium voltage electrical distribution systems
- Knowledge of utility distribution systems
- Knowledge of utility AC construction standards
- Ability to travel 25% of work schedule
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively