Become part of the energy behind public power! ElectriCities has spent the past 50 years working closely with public power communities across North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia to improve their utility and government operations. We have an in-depth understanding of the utility business and the unique challenges each of these communities face. ElectriCities’ strength is bringing public power communities together to share knowledge in an effort to make their power safer and more reliable.
We are looking for a Utility Locator to join our public power utility operation in Huntersville, NC to support both the Towns of Huntersville and Cornelius. The Utility Locator’s duties may include but are not limited to:
• Locating and marking electric, and fiber optic utilities; providing utility location services to other utilities, citizens and others requesting locates through 811; prepares and maintains maps, files, and records.
• Completing utility locates for electric distribution and secondary lines.
• Completing utility locate documentation per state law requirements.
• Responding and communicating in response to excavation damage for electric, and fiber optic facilities; repairing third party damages.
• Overseeing inspection of contractor installations of electric, and fiber optic facilities, ensuring compliance to Operations and Maintenance (O & M) procedures, permit requirements, and industry standards.
• Participating in as-built and project documentation required for electric, and fiber optic facilities.
• Completing map corrections and reviewing maps for quality assurance.
• Discussing job requirements with and receiving detailed instructions from supervisor.
• Keeping trucks stocked with materials and tools; performing minor equipment maintenance; calibrating tools.
• Installing work zone protective devices such as warning signs, flags, cones, etc.; serving as a flagman in work zones to direct traffic safely through the zone.
Qualified candidates should possess:
• A high school diploma or GED or any combination of equivalent education and experience.
• A valid North Carolina commercial driver’s license (CDL).
• Experience in utility construction or maintenance including locating underground utility lines.
• General knowledge of the operation of electronic locating devices.
• General knowledge of the tools, materials, and equipment used in the locating, installation, replacement, maintenance, and repair of electric lines.
• General knowledge of a variety of maintenance and manual methods and tasks involved in the installation, maintenance, repair, location, and replacement of electric lines and appurtenances.
• General knowledge of Operations and Maintenance Manual, engineering standards and specifications related to electric system installation methods, and materials.
• General knowledge of the hazards and related safety precautions involved in working on energized pad-mounted transformers.
• General knowledge of electrical principles and functions.
• Ability to read and correct utility maps to determine location of electric lines.
• Ability to read and understand locate tickets and work within the system designated for use by the Company.
• Ability to read operation and service manuals and to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, contractors, and the general public.
• CPR and basic First Aid certification.
Be part of your local community and make a difference! A regional operation offers a home base work/life balance, as well as opportunity to help other local public power providers through mutual aid agreements. We offer a variety of work and lifestyle benefits, health and wellness benefits, local government pension, 401(k) retirement options, competitive pay, and a performance-based incentive program. ElectriCities offers continuing education classes taught by in-house Safety & Training personnel and other industry experts. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply online now and join our expanding operation!