Local Unit & Position Description
Are you seeking opportunities to collaborate with a diverse community of engineers to make an impact on climate change?
Are you ready to leverage your communications skills, connect with clients, apply and deepen your technical expertise in wind turbine technology to foster the safe and successful development of wind energy?
DNV GL’s Wind Technology Engineer position may be a great fit for you!
DNV GL - Energy has expertise, technical depth and breadth, and a commitment to the success of renewables technology that is unmatched among providers of independent advisory services. We are looking for the ideal candidate to make this amazing team even more so. The role will allow you to be part of a team at the forefront of new technical developments as we evaluate and mitigate technical risks, and identify opportunities associated with wind turbine technology for a variety of clients. This position is based out of our Seattle, WA; Portland OR; or San Diego, CA office.
Tasks May Include
Participation in a broad range of technical projects within wind technology including but not limited to:
- Calculation of turbine loading. Example work would include:
- detailed evaluation of turbine loads to confirm site suitability using DNV GL-developed tools
- evaluating impacts of turbine modifications (hardware and software) on turbine loads
- assessing remaining useful life of aged turbines
- evaluations in context of performance upgrades, wind project repowering and/or life-extension
- Evaluate site suitability assessment prepared by OEMs.
- Investigate and opine on wind turbine structural issues
- Evaluation of wind project lightning-protection system (LPS) performance using DNV GL developed methods
- Support performance of root cause analysis investigations into turbine and component failures covering inspection, documentation of field conditions, causality mapping, and engineering calculations
- Analysis of wind turbine and meteorological data
- Perform field and factory inspections of wind turbines and components as part of operational assessments, manufacturing quality inspections, construction monitoring, and failure investigations
- Prepare high quality written documentation and reports conveying work performed, results, and implications
- Write proposals for and manage small to medium size projects including client interaction and budget and schedules of internal colleagues
- Prepare detailed reports, memos, technical notes, and email correspondence to communicate clearly and objectively to internal colleagues and clients with accuracy and technical rigor
- Complete company required documentation in a timely manner such as Job Safety Analysis, Risk Assessments, time sheets, expense reports, inspection check sheets, tracking reports and scheduling controls
- Business development activities including client visits, conference presentations, white papers, and proposal development
- Propose, participate in, and/or lead DNV GL internal research activity and/or joint industry projects
- Participation in wind industry standards committees
- Bachelor in relevant engineering or physics disciplines required. Masters in Wind Energy Engineering, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil/Structural Engineering preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience or 3 years plus advanced degree in an engineering related role, involving design and analysis
- Minimum 3 years of experience with wind energy technology in a professional or academic role preferred. Consulting experience a plus
- Demonstrate experience with or ability to quickly obtain competency in most of the following technical areas:
- Experience in aeroelastic simulations of wind turbine systems (using FAST, BLADED, FLEX5, HAWC2, or similar)
- Understanding the basics of wind turbine aerodynamic and structural design
- Experience with or knowledgeable in wind turbine control systems
- Solid knowledge of wind turbine systems including gearboxes, blades, pitch and yaw systems, generators, turbine controllers, towers, and foundations, electrical cabling, and SCADA systems
- Strong computer programming background (MATLAB, Python or other transferable languages)
- Experience with or knowledge of uncertainty, probabilistic, and statistical methods
- Experience with or familiarity of different wind turbine platforms and manufacturers
- Familiarity with consulting engineering business needs and expectations and proficient in project management
- Proficient in MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and able to learn new software.
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills through report origination, draft/final revisions, ability to review and comment on work of peers, and complete high-quality report deliverables. (An original writing sample will be requested as part of the selection process).
- Ability to walk over rough or slippery terrain as experienced on heavy construction sites
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions as experienced across North America and in locations where wind energy projects are typically located
- Ability to work at a desk and with a computer for extended periods as required for typical office work
- Ability to climb a wind turbine tower ladder typically up to 100-120 m heights and perform inspections and minor mechanical and electrical tasks
- Ability to enter confined or enclosed spaces
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20% of the time
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
**Immigration-related benefits (for example, visa sponsorship) are not available for this position**
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, DNV GL enables organisations to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification and technical assurance along with software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas and energy industries. We also provide certification services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining leading technical and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, DNV GL empowers our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
Originated in 1864, DNV GL operates globally in more than 100 countries with our 16,000 professionals dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL – Energy, with more than 2,300 experts in over 30 countries around the world, is committed to driving the global transition toward a safe, reliable, efficient, and clean energy future. With a heritage of nearly 150 years, we specialize in providing world-class, innovative solutions in the fields of business & technical consultancy, testing, inspections & certification, risk management, and verification.
Company and Business Area Description