Local Unit & Position Description
Are you seeking opportunities to collaborate with a diverse community of engineers to make an impact on climate change?
Are you ready to leverage your communications skills, connect with clients, and deepen your technical expertise in wind turbine technology to foster the safe and successful development of wind energy?
DNV GL’s Wind Turbine Engineer position may be a great fit for you!
DNV GL - Energy's Renewables Advisory group is seeking a Wind Turbine Engineer to join our Turbine Technology group to support Independent Engineering tasks related to wind turbine technical risk evaluations. The role will allow you to be part of a team at the forefront of new technical developments, including evaluating OEMs new wind turbines and climbing them. In addition to growing technical expertise, the role is an opportunity to flex your project and time management skills, adaptable oral and written communication when conveying technical details to address varying customer needs, and innovative ideas for improving internal tools and processes.
The candidate will be an active member of the IE-Turbine technology group that evaluates the risks associated with wind farm technology, providing (amongst other things) site suitability assessments, turbine technology reviews and construction monitoring reports of wind farms to project owners, lenders, equity investors, and banks.
This position is based out of our Seattle, WA, office (other locations may also be considered).
Tasks May Include
- Perform turbine site suitability analysis with DNV GL developed analytical tools. Evaluate site suitability assessment prepared by OEMs.
- Contribute to wind turbine technology assessments, review assessments by others, report writing, and client communication as part of technical due diligence for project financing, mergers & acquisitions, owner purchases, and other business needs.
- Remain current on new wind turbine technology, engaging with OEMs to understand latest technical details on new products and updates/revisions to existing products.
- Perform field and factory inspections of wind turbines and components as part of construction monitoring, operational project assessments, manufacturing quality inspections, and potentially failure investigations.
- Review projects’ O&M budgets and provide O&M cost projections using DNV GL’s internal tools, including evaluation of expected major component failure rates.
- Prepare high quality written documentation and reports conveying work performed, results, and implications.
- Prepare detailed reports, memos, technical notes, and email correspondence to communicate clearly and objectively to clients with accuracy and technical rigor.
- Review root cause analysis (RCA) investigations performed by OEMs or others, in order to assess RCA’s completeness and provide evaluation of associated risks and mitigants. Work may also include at some point active participation in RCAs, including investigations into turbine and component failures covering inspection, documentation of field conditions, causality mapping, and engineering calculations (as appropriate).
- Ability and interest to learn aero-elastic load simulations of turbines. Example work would include detailed evaluation of turbine loads to confirm site suitability, evaluating impacts of turbine modifications (hardware and software) on turbine loads, and assessing remaining useful life of aged turbines.
- Complete company required documentation in a timely manner such as Job Safety Analysis, Risk Assessments, time sheets, expense reports, inspection check sheets, tracking reports and scheduling controls.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant engineering or physics disciplines required. Masters in Wind Energy Engineering, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering preferred
- Minimum 1 year of experience within the wind energy industry in an engineering related role (internships and coursework will be considered). Consulting experience a plus
- Basic knowledge of wind turbine systems including gearboxes, blades, pitch and yaw systems, generators, turbine controllers, towers, electrical cabling, and SCADA systems
- Computer programming background (MATLAB, Python or other transferable languages) is a plus
- Knowledge of mechanical systems, materials, controls, and physical environment impact on structures preferred
- Proficient in MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and able to learn new software
- Proficient in reading and understanding mechanical drawings and electrical schematics is desired
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills through report origination, draft/final revisions, ability to review and comment on work of peers, and complete high quality report deliverables. (An original writing sample will be requested as part of the selection process)
- Proven HSE mindset
- Ability to be commercially responsible for management of projects and handle associated administrative details
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills, comfortable addressing groups
- Bilingual (French and/or Spanish) writing and verbal skills a plus
- Willingness and ability to travel in North America, up to 30% of the time
- Valid driver's license with clear MVR that complies with DNV GL insurance requirements.
- Passport or documentation to allow international travel (entry to USA, Caribbean, or Mexico for example)
- Ability to walk over rough or slippery terrain as experienced on heavy construction sites
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions as experienced across North America and in locations where wind energy projects are typically located
- Ability to sit for extended periods as required for typical office work
- Ability to climb a wind turbine tower ladder with up to 30-35 lbs of gear on person, typically to 100-120 m heights
- Sufficient physical fitness to perform multiple turbine climbs per day
- Ability to enter confined or enclosed spaces
- We conduct a pre-employment background check
- Please include a Cover Letter
**Immigration-related benefits (for example, visa sponsorship) are not available for this position**
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, DNV GL enables organisations to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification and technical assurance along with software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas and energy industries. We also provide certification services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining leading technical and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, DNV GL empowers our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight.
Originated in 1864, DNV GL operates globally in more than 100 countries with our 16,000 professionals dedicated to helping our customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL – Energy, with more than 2,300 experts in over 30 countries around the world, is committed to driving the global transition toward a safe, reliable, efficient, and clean energy future. With a heritage of nearly 150 years, we specialize in providing world-class, innovative solutions in the fields of business & technical consultancy, testing, inspections & certification, risk management, and verification.
Company and Business Area Description